PDA

View Full Version : General WTF - A Startling Discovery!

John Keeton
05-12-2012, 2:41 PM
One of the nice attributes of both lacquer and shellac is their ability to accept Transtint dyes. Often, I like to add some tinted finish for added depth on a colored piece. Early on, Steve Schlumpf got me on to WOP as my standard finish, and try as I might, I could not find any way to tint the WOP. I tried every dye I have, including the Transtints, and I tried mixing the dye with other intermediate carriers in an effort to get it to then mix with the WOP to no avail.

I am finishing up a dyed piece and tinted some shellac to build some depth. While playing with that (which is a difficult process BTW!) I got to thinking about the makeup of WTF - it is about 70% water, and up to 10% glycol ether, which has its derivation in alcohol. Hmmmmmm......Transtint will dissolve in both water and alcohol.:cool: The light just came on!!!!!

The WTF was already out as it was going to be the finish on this piece. I poured a little in a plastic container, and added a few drops of blue Transtint - BINGO!!! It blended just like it would in lacquer!! I already have 7-8 coats on this piece (in about 20 minutes!) and it really makes the color pop. I will level this out after a few more coats and then finish off with a few coats of clear prior to buffing.

Just thought I would pass this along. You may already know this, and it may not mean much to you all, but it is huge for me as I really like adding tint in a finish.

Eric Gourieux
05-12-2012, 3:01 PM
That's great, John. I've been wanting to try tinting WTF. Now I know it can be done. I'm coming to be a big fan of this stuff!

BILL DONAHUE
05-12-2012, 3:03 PM
WTF??? I had the wrong idea about what you were writing about. WTF is WTF, some kind of finish? BTW why not just use transtint before applying a finish? LOL.

Sid Matheny
05-12-2012, 3:12 PM
Well I have been putting off trying WTF but now I may just have to get some to try with tint. I have heard a lot of great reports on WTF but just hated to add yet another finish to my stock of many. I have tried so many new things and went back to WOP because it didn't work well for me I just haven't bought any of the WTF. Now I'll have to add another and it is all your fault John.:o

Sid

ray hampton
05-12-2012, 3:32 PM
One of the nice attributes of both lacquer and shellac is their ability to accept Transtint dyes. Often, I like to add some tinted finish for added depth on a colored piece. Early on, Steve Schlumpf got me on to WOP as my standard finish, and try as I might, I could not find any way to tint the WOP. I tried every dye I have, including the Transtints, and I tried mixing the dye with other intermediate carriers in an effort to get it to then mix with the WOP to no avail.

I am finishing up a dyed piece and tinted some shellac to build some depth. While playing with that (which is a difficult process BTW!) I got to thinking about the makeup of WTF - it is about 70% water, and up to 10% glycol ether, which has its derivation in alcohol. Hmmmmmm......Transtint will dissolve in both water and alcohol.:cool: The light just came on!!!!!

The WTF was already out as it was going to be the finish on this piece. I poured a little in a plastic container, and added a few drops of blue Transtint - BINGO!!! It blended just like it would in lacquer!! I already have 7-8 coats on this piece (in about 20 minutes!) and it really makes the color pop. I will level this out after a few more coats and then finish off with a few coats of clear prior to buffing.

Just thought I would pass this along. You may already know this, and it may not mean much to you all, but it is huge for me as I really like adding tint in a finish.

If lacquer or WTF will mix with this dye and also mix with alcohol , then do this mean that lacquer are water-based [I hope that the word " water-based " are the correct phase

David DeCristoforo
05-12-2012, 3:38 PM
"WTF???...is WTF, some kind of finish?..."

Oh, the twisting of the mind! In this case WTF is not an acronym for what WTF has become an acronym for, standing instead for WoodTurner's Finish (http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/general-finishes-wood-turners-finish/). It is kind of startling to see it here though, especially in caps which is usually interpreted as shouting and most especially coming from Mr Keeton who, it would appear, is very excited about this stuff.

John Keeton
05-12-2012, 3:54 PM
BTW why not just use transtint before applying a finish? LOL.Bill, I always use dye first, but sometimes I like the depth of tinted finish, as well. That was always the lure of lacquer, but I don't really care for lacquer as a final finish.

Reed Gray
05-12-2012, 4:22 PM
Glad you cleared up the WTF for me and other clueless types. Not a product I have used.

robo hippy

Rick Markham
05-13-2012, 5:02 PM
John, I was wondering about this the other day, thanks for posting it!

Bernie Weishapl
05-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Glad you brought that up John and good to know it works. I was going to experiment but now I know that it works I can skip that part.