PDA

View Full Version : Searching for a best method to coloring, registration and contour cut

James Terry
05-12-2012, 2:34 PM
Hey folks. I am looking for suggestions on various ways to achieve color print onto something that ends up being contour cut in the laser. The target is clips, brooches, pendants, ... that kind of stuff. For now the target substrate would be mdf or perhaps even hardwood panels.

Would I want to laser print, decoupage, contour cut, then seal? Would I want to explore water slide? Is standard color laser ink or inkjet ink acceptable for this? How would I go about registering the color print to the substrate in the laser cutter? I have read a little bit about registration but am not sure I have found my answer yet.

So, I am simply asking for methods so I can save myself some waste and frustration.

Rodne Gold
05-13-2012, 12:39 AM
You can print on Inkjet vinyl with a desktop printer and laser cut it , www.papilio.com (http://www.papilio.com) has various substrates that are laser friendly , you can then die/kiss cut it in the laser - you will have to work out a registration system bearing in mind positioning and what your lasers driver is capable of. It's not too difficult .

You can then dome the decal you have cut and apply it to the brooch substrate or apply it undomed and give it a spray of some protective varnish/laquer. Cutting wood etc with a print applied will almost always guarantee you some char and keeping the graphic "clean" if you apply and then cut will be a mission.
Search the boards here for the word "papilio" and you will find some other discussion on print/cut.

Martin Boekers
05-13-2012, 11:45 AM
If you do dye sub explore the hard board stock. Conde and Johnson Plastics sell.
it's .125 and cuts well with the laser. Its easy to align. I print the image slightly larger
cut the piece to exact size, then position the piece visually to the center tape and press..

Remember since inks and toners are transparent the substrate will show through so for
waterslide you need a "white" base of for heat transfers a special paper for "dark" transfers,
unless you want the substrate to show.

Do you want to apply the image to the substrate then cut or cut before applying the image then transfer?

Mike Null
05-13-2012, 12:23 PM
The things you describe will likely take more equipment than the laser and a printer. I'd suggest exploring You tube for things like doming, decals, color laser transfer, dye sublimation and print and cut.

AL Ursich
05-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Corel lets you add Registration Marks on Artwork. For smaller Scale you could print on the Sublimation White Mates with registration marks on the corners. Then place in a Vinyl Cutter like the Graphtec FC8000 and it has a Registration Mark Reader and prints from Corel.

My attempts with the FC7000 ended in a no go as my registration marks were too close to the top edge. I was told that 2 inches down would be better. Never got back to it.

Another direction is the Direct Color DCS1324 Mild Solvent Printer with a flatbed 13 x 24. Add the Registration Marks and print Solvent ink receptive vinyl and run through a Graphtec FC8000.

Gerber has a Print Cut option too...

Just some thoughts....

AL