PDA

View Full Version : Frog Swapping

Allen Breinig
05-12-2012, 9:35 AM
Is anyone swapping the frog on their planes to change the pitch angle? Is it a pain point?

I have a LN #4 with 55 degree frog that works very well but I have been thinking about adding a 45 degree frog to increase its range of use. Not real sure what that means (range of use). $75 for a frog is cheaper than buying a second plane but is it really worth it function wise? Or is it better just to have a second plane always set up with a 45 degree frog? Or is it a skip it and move on to something else kind of deal?

Thanks,

David Weaver
05-12-2012, 10:24 AM
It should be an extremely easy change.

Terry Beadle
05-12-2012, 10:25 AM
A 45 degree frog will not get you any advantage except it will take less push to do it's work but not do as well on tear out issues either for complex grain or knot hole areas.

A 55 degree frog does do a better job of tricky grain.

IMO, I would not bother with the 45 degree frog expense unless you just have $75 to blow. If it nagging at me, I'd use the $75 to buy a Stanley #5 and put a Hock blade in it. There you would have a comparable plane with the 45 degrees and performance that is near LN quality.

On the other hand, I'm cheap! Hoot!

Enjoy the process.

Shawn Pixley
05-12-2012, 11:24 AM
I have a LN 4-1/2 with two frogs (55 & 45). I started with just the 45 but got an extra 55 for tricky grain. I have wondered whether I should have a second body. It doesn't take long to switch but it is a little finicky to set up. I don't get as much time to work as I would like and the ability to just grab another plane would be nice. Terry's advice is good. Get another plane with a standard angle.

David Weaver
05-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I think you guys with two frogs should learn to use the chipbreaker with the standard angle frog. You'll get a better surface finish and no tearout, and have less screwing around.

Jim Koepke
05-12-2012, 12:22 PM
+1 on getting a second plane.

Many of my planes are duplicates in the same size to keep from having to adjust blades or frogs, let alone swapping a frog.

If you purchased a standard angle LN #5 you would have two planes with two frogs if you really wanted to swap them around.

jtk

Shawn Pixley
05-12-2012, 3:50 PM
With all due respect, i know how to sharpen and adjust the chip breaker. I have found for 90% of my work your statement is true. However in that last 10%, the high angle frog is necessary. I work with a fair amount of figured wood and reversing grain.

Allen Breinig
05-12-2012, 7:15 PM
I like the idea of a #5. I hadn't thought about that option in this case, but I do have a #5 on my wish list. It seems like a good option to wait until I can get the new plane. That gives me a lot more options although at a higher cost. No one seems to think the 45 is going to do anything that the 55 isn't already doing other than push a little bit easier?

David Weaver
05-12-2012, 10:00 PM
With all due respect, i know how to sharpen and adjust the chip breaker. I have found for 90% of my work your statement is true. However in that last 10%, the high angle frog is necessary. I work with a fair amount of figured wood and reversing grain.

If 10% of your work is tearing out with a chipbreaker, then it is not set properly. I used to think that it was inferior to a higher pitch plane, too. Over the last few months, I've learned otherwise.