PDA

View Full Version : Of all the fish out there,,,,

Rich Engelhardt
05-12-2012, 7:56 AM
I have to admit an addiction to chasing Crappie....
Bass, walleye, perch and cat fish are ok,,,,,but,,,,Crappie!!!

Nothing beats a football sized "paper mouth" on the end of 2# test line and a long, long, long ultra light rod.

Any other pan fishers?

* better define "football here - I can only wish they grew the size of an NFL football,,,, :D ;)

Randy Moore
05-12-2012, 9:14 AM
That is one of the reasons I don't get any woodworking projects done.
I get the mowing done and any Honey does done and I am off the chase CRAPPIE.
I might chase a Bass or Walleye but CRAPPIE is the fish.

Jeff Monson
05-12-2012, 9:46 AM
We have a cabin on a lake that is plentiful with panfish. I bought an ultra light rod a couple years ago, now when I take the kids fishing, I enjoy it just as much. We have lots of bluegill, perch and a few crappie.

Bill Huber
05-12-2012, 11:49 AM
That is one of the reasons I don't get any woodworking projects done.
I get the mowing done and any Honey does done and I am off the chase CRAPPIE.
I might chase a Bass or Walleye but CRAPPIE is the fish.

Randy, when I lived in Olathe I spent many hours on Melvern lake pulling out baskets of Crappie. I could always go there and be sure I would bring home a good load for the freezer.
Now that was 28 years ago and I don't know how the lake is doing and if it is still a good crappie lake.

Shawn Pixley
05-12-2012, 6:58 PM
I don't fish much in the fresh water. For me, I'll take yellowtail.

Dave Ray
05-12-2012, 8:37 PM
I live in an area surrounded by some of the best salt water fishing in the world. Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean, but not crazy about salt water fishing. Large and small mouth Bass, Pickerel, Crappie and all pan fish abound in the lakes and rivers, yet my favorite is fly fishing for Trout, which is not available here. Have to travel good distance in order to enjoy. I guess in the long run life is like a shop, it's never big enough, the shop I mean or we are never satisfied, always reaching for something we think is better. Like fishing, this is a good thing. Any day spent fishing or in the shop is a holiday and is time well spent.

Randy Moore
05-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Randy, when I lived in Olathe I spent many hours on Melvern lake pulling out baskets of Crappie. I could always go there and be sure I would bring home a good load for the freezer.
Now that was 28 years ago and I don't know how the lake is doing and if it is still a good crappie lake.

Bill, it is still a good lake for CRAPPIE, as is Clinton, Perry and many other lakes around here. But I own a house not far from Beaver Lake, that lake is in Arkansas, on Table Rock Lake in Missouri. That is where I do most of my fishing and R & R.
Some things might change but if you know where to look for the fish you will, most likely, find them. My Dad & I could almost always go get a limit of CRAPPIE when no one else was even getting a nibble.
Now I want to leave home and go fishing. Can't tho because of Mother's Day. Wife would probably kill me if I went fishing now.

Randy Alkins
05-13-2012, 3:22 PM
I spend all my $$$ on these232047

Myk Rian
05-13-2012, 6:55 PM
We have an 8 acre private lake in our neighborhood. It has an abundance of Bluegill. They're fun to while a few hours away with.
I'm chasing the 20" bass I've seen jumping at dragon flies.

Joe Pelonio
05-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Not much in the way of big ones around here with the cold water, but I remember when we lived in CA one night at a local
reservoir just before dark we were bringing in a black crappie on every cast with rubber mini jigs. What a feast that fish fry was.

Van Huskey
05-15-2012, 1:22 AM
Crappie on ultra light tackle is very cool. But to me the king of fish is the permit on flies, finding them and getting them to bite is HARD. Everyone of these fish is completly different and they react with seemingly no rhyme or reason to type/color/presentation of the fly. Now if we are talking fight and land no question a mature tarpon!

Bill Cunningham
05-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm the world most prolific worm drowner.. Fish?? Those are those things held up by people in 'other' boats..

Dave Verstraete
05-20-2012, 5:52 PM
Crappie are a lot of fun but I prefer fishing for muskie
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=119016&d=1242993646

Shawn Pixley
05-20-2012, 6:49 PM
Back when I lived in the midwest, I was fishing for Crappie on ultralight tackle in an empoundment. Reeling in one Crappie my rod was slammed by a Northern Pike. It was a lot of fune bringing him in on the ultra light rod and through the branches of the submerged trees.

Randy Alkins
05-20-2012, 7:59 PM
Pure thrill of the fight try a giant bluefin on standup tackle. 600+lbs of brute force on a spinning rod and reel with a popper you just threw it it. Just to see it engulf the popper is a thrill but once hooked up see how long you can last.
check out photos
http://www.big-game-board.info/english-spoken-section/worldwide-saltwater-fishing/usa/north-carolina/3445-hatteras-bluefin-march-25-2010/

ray hampton
05-20-2012, 8:16 PM
600 lbs , I bet that your landing net were too small

Bill Cunningham
05-20-2012, 11:29 PM
The collage I used to work at, had a campus lake that was WAY over populated and crawling with bluegills..I would have two divers in the water doing welding tests, and the light from the arcs would bring them in, in schools. I saw one student catch a big one with a piece of binder twine, a bent roofing nail as a hook, and a silver gum wrapper as bait.. Some others got pretty proficient at throwing a welding rod into the water, and through a fish.. The tree huggers at the college Admin. had a strict rule about fishing on the campus (land locked) lake, they called it a fish 'sanctuary'(?), as if fish would somehow migrate to this lake to be safe..duh...