PDA

View Full Version : Ron Herman's New Video

Bill Rittner
05-11-2012, 6:20 PM
I have watched Ron Herman's latest saw video several times and have learned from it. However, I have 2 questions.

1 - He mentions some resources to be found at the end of the video and I have not found any. Am I missing something as usual or do they not exist?

2 - At the end of the video there is a brief bit on tensioning a saw. I know there are experts here on this subject and I wish to ask their opinion on Herman's method?

As always thanks for any help you can give.

Chuck Nickerson
05-11-2012, 9:32 PM
Is this video for sale, on Youtube, on his website, or...?

Joe Bailey
05-11-2012, 9:36 PM
http://www.shopwoodworking.com/handsaws-tune-up-setup-and-more-v7997

Peter Travis
05-12-2012, 12:59 AM
For the extra resources- try "opening" the dvd on your computer. I have his first (?)saw sharpening dvd- my computer tries to autoplay the movie part so I have to x-out of that and then open then disc under "my computer".
now- mind you- I also belong to the "Neanderthal Haven" of the computer world too- so there most likely are easier/better/faster ways of doing it- but for now I'll stick to my abacus until my kids get old enough to show me how to do it.

Mike Brady
05-12-2012, 8:53 AM
Bill, I can't find those references for resources either. The only file I see listed are audio and video. I might contact Megan at F&W and ask her to provide an addendum by email from Ron Herman.

Also, this is the first mention of saw blade tensioning that I have encountered in video or print. I know about hand tensioning of table saw blades because Forrest saw blades are subject to that in their manufacturing process. Any tapping of saw plates with hammers that I have seen referenced was for removing kinks and dents. I avoid saws that have been sharpened too deeply into their plate height, so for me it is probably a non-issue. I'll have to watch that segment again and see if I missed something crucial.