PDA

View Full Version : Rest In Peace - Carroll Shelby

Kevin Gregoire
05-11-2012, 5:37 PM
Legendary car designer Carroll Shelby dead at 89

this man was a legend and a hero of mine, his number one car he built (AC Cobra) has always
been my dream car plus all the newer mustangs his shop produced over the years were some
of the fastest cars on the planet!

he will be missed

http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/05/11/0510-carroll-shelby-2.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2012, 7:48 PM
I'm in my 60's and Shelby was a name to remember.....and still a dream.....

RIP Mr. Shelby!

Heather Thompson
05-11-2012, 9:22 PM
Kevin,

I started another thread about this sad event, this man was a true legend and a gift to motorsports.

RIP Mr Shelby.

Heather

Paul McGaha
05-11-2012, 9:37 PM
He was a great one. I think it was really smart of Ford to make those Shelby Mustangs with him. Super nice cars.

PHM

Kevin Gregoire
05-12-2012, 12:17 AM
yup very sad indeed!
heather, you should have looked here first and we could have combined all the posts.

the one story i will never forget about him, or i should say the ac cobra is that when chevy was building their hottest vette
and they put in the all aluminum 427 and they had a shootout race between the two cars to see which was fastest, well it
was the cobra that went from 0-100 and back to 0 before the vette made it to 100 so that should tell you something about
that car!

i started out life as a ford guy but moved to chevy after i bought my first chevelle but its the cobra that i still dream about
having one day, a replica of course since i could never afford the real steel or should i say, aluminum.

RIP

Stephen Tashiro
05-12-2012, 2:02 AM
One of the lesser known projects that he lent his name to: http://www.ox2engine.com/products&specs.html and a penny stock I couldn't resist. It will probably fold.

Van Huskey
05-12-2012, 2:25 AM
I owned a GT350H for about 10 years, it is the car I most regret selling. On top of it mine was one of the first 85 Hertz cars built, anyone know what that meant...?

Although I would love a Cobra (small or big block) for its historical and monetary value for a driver I would rather have one of the really good replicas... they are just better cars.

The Cobra gets most of the love but the Daytona was probably Shelby's zenith. Out of all the cars in the world CSX2287 (the prototype or lost Daytona) is second on my list. The second Daytona CSX2289 won the GT class and beat... Ferrari, interestingly enough all the Daytona coupes were built in Italy save the prototype.

RIP, a true racing legend.

Rick Potter
05-12-2012, 4:10 AM
Two weeks ago I toured the NHRA museum in Pomona CA. They have a display of many Cobras that are historical, like the first 260 series, 289's and 427's, including one of Carrolls own personal cars that he owned from day one. There are also racing Cobras, a continuation Cobra, and one of the new fiberglass jobs Shelby builds.

Toured his shop in Las Vegas about 10 years ago, when he was building the Oldsmobile powered cars. No wonder they didn't sell.....uuuugly. They were built partially by prisoners in a Nevada prison, as I remember.

My favorites are the 260, and early 289 cars. They were beautiful, with gracefull lines, while the 427's were more steroidal.

Rick Potter