PDA

View Full Version : Glue up question

keith denbesten
05-11-2012, 3:10 PM
I'm doing a glue up on 2 mahogany 6 3/4" wide boards 5' long. I've got 29 of these to do. My question is, after I release them from bondage, What is the best way to store them? Flat with stickers, standing up against a wall? Or is there a better idea out there? I will only get 8 - 10 glued up a day so it will be a week till I can start working with them again. Thanks guys!

Ryan Hellmer
05-11-2012, 5:13 PM
I'd do flat with stickers.
Ryan

Jay Jolliffe
05-11-2012, 5:47 PM
Flat with stickers for me also

Kent A Bathurst
05-11-2012, 5:58 PM
As Yul Brynner famously said:

"So let it be written. So let it be done."

Sam Murdoch
05-11-2012, 6:17 PM
As Yul Brynner famously said:

"So let it be written. So let it be done."

:) :) :rolleyes:

keith denbesten
05-11-2012, 6:42 PM
As it is written, so shall it be. I bow to consensus of the masters that are SMC.
Thanks All

Sam Murdoch
05-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Oh and Keith, a caution - if once these glue up are cleaned up and nearly finish don't just leave them out willy nilly stacked and exposed to daylight - you will get some serious shadowing on the mahogany (or cherry). Not a problem if you still need to thickness them. I have stacked sanded and/or finished tops or shelves, door parts etc. good side up without covering with blankets or towels and have ended up with some unusable lumber due to light strikes.

keith denbesten
05-12-2012, 9:35 AM
Thanks Sam, This is good advice. I will keep them covered up and as always I'll be trying not to be willy nilly.:rolleyes:

Oh and Keith, a caution - if once these glue up are cleaned up and nearly finish don't just leave them out willy nilly stacked and exposed to daylight - you will get some serious shadowing on the mahogany (or cherry). Not a problem if you still need to thickness them. I have stacked sanded and/or finished tops or shelves, door parts etc. good side up without covering with blankets or towels and have ended up with some unusable lumber due to light strikes.

Jeff Duncan
05-14-2012, 3:20 PM
If you have longer clamps, say 30" you should be able to glue up 2 at a shot. Get them done in half the time!

good luck,
JeffD

Prashun Patel
05-14-2012, 3:28 PM
What may I ask are you doing with them? To the extent that it's possible, I'd assemble the final pieces as quickly after glue up as is possible instead of trying to do all the glue up at once, then all the assembly at once.

keith denbesten
05-14-2012, 4:30 PM
I'm wainscoating our office / reading room in a board and batt style