PDA

View Full Version : Oneida DC filter area question

Ryan Brucks
05-11-2012, 1:37 PM
Hey guys,

I currently have a HF 2hp DC all modded with Wynn 35a etc. That wynn 35a has around 275 square feet of surface area.

I am considering the jump to a 3 or 5hp cyclone, like the oneida. I looked at their pro models, and was interested to see that their (much taller than wynn) filters are only 110 sqft of surface area.

Why so much less? Can they be upgraded, or does it not matter?

David Kumm
05-11-2012, 3:09 PM
Both Oneida filters, the spun bond and the Hepa type have about 100 sq ft due to the much wider pleat area. The nano filters run a very tight pleat. Supporters of both types will tell you theirs is better. They are both engineered to filter from the inside out rather than outside in which was the way cartridges were originally designed so there is some trade off there. Generally the more area the better but you can't compare different filter media when deciding how much you need. Talk to each and decide whose story sounds the most logical. I had a spun bond filter. The wide pleats do trap chips if you overfill the cyclone so try not to do that. Good luck. The tighter Wynn filter loads more at the surface because the pleats are so small but I haven't had mine long enough to talk about loading. Loading and frequent cleaning is not so good and too much cfm through a filter is bad. Each filter should be rated for how much cfm you should have. the nano are rated for 2cfm per sq ft. They do clean well as my Dylos .5 monitor is under 100 with the DC running vs my house at 300. They are MERV 15. I don't have experience with the MERV 16+ Oneida filters but since overhead ambient cleaners come with MERV 10-14 and the shop air is better than the house I've felt no need to improve. Dave