PDA

View Full Version : Laser for leather, Shenhui, not sure on wattage (new here, first post)

Eric Luther
05-11-2012, 1:21 PM
Hello all my names Eric, I have a leather business and want to order a laser to help cut complicated patterns and do etching.

My main question is would a 40 watt be enough to cut 10oz (1/4in) veg tan leather, and do a good job etching?

Also is there anything I should now when ordering from Shenhui

Thanks so much!

Eric

Mike Chance in Iowa
05-11-2012, 2:47 PM
Welcome to the creek Eric. It's been years since I cut 1/4" leather, so I do not recall how clean the results were. My notes show my 45-watt laser vector cut 1/4" leather using 18/100/500. Unfortunately I don't remember anything about how clean it cut, but I'm assuming it cut fairly decent or else I would have slowed the laser down even more to cut through it. As far as etching (engraving) on leather, I have found that all depends upon each piece of leather and how it was tanned. Settings that worked for cheap leather have charred top quality leather and vice-versa.

Eric Luther
05-11-2012, 2:51 PM
Welcome to the creek Eric. It's been years since I cut 1/4" leather, so I do not recall how clean the results were. My notes show my 45-watt laser vector cut 1/4" leather using 18/100/500. Unfortunately I don't remember anything about how clean it cut, but I'm assuming it cut fairly decent or else I would have slowed the laser down even more to cut through it. As far as etching (engraving) on leather, I have found that all depends upon each piece of leather and how it was tanned. Settings that worked for cheap leather have charred top quality leather and vice-versa.

thanks for the response Mike! so you think I would be ok with the 40? most things I will be cutting are only about 6/64" thick

Rodne Gold
05-11-2012, 3:54 PM
Go for more power , 80w+

Eric Luther
05-11-2012, 3:56 PM
Go for more power , 80w+

I am on a really tight budget, do you think I will need an 80w just for leather?

Michael Hunter
05-11-2012, 5:38 PM
Depends on the leather.
My 60W struggled on hard dense leather about 3/16" thick (this was the sort of leather used for horsey things).
Softer leathers of the same thickness cut quickly and cleanly.

Put leather in a laser and you get the most horrible smell - which lasts for at least a week.

Eric Luther
05-11-2012, 9:56 PM
Depends on the leather.
My 60W struggled on hard dense leather about 3/16" thick (this was the sort of leather used for horsey things).
Softer leathers of the same thickness cut quickly and cleanly.

Put leather in a laser and you get the most horrible smell - which lasts for at least a week.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the info!

Mike Null
05-12-2012, 6:28 AM
Leather at 1/4" thickness is a tough cut. Go for all the power you can afford. By all means get somebody with a machine to test your material for you before you buy as I do not believe lasering leather this thick is a production friendly process.

Ross Moshinsky
05-12-2012, 7:08 AM
Go for more power , 80w+

I agree. Any time you plan on cutting a lot, 80w+ is always going to be the best way to go. Even if 40w can cut the leather, 80w will do it essentially twice as fast and give you a lot more of a margin to tweak your results.

I think you'd be best served with a 24"x36" machine with at least an 80W tube.

I also agree with the suggestions that you should have some samples done before you buy. There are plenty of people on the forum who can do some samples for you.

Richard Rumancik
05-12-2012, 10:23 AM
You will probably get a very dark edge with a laser, with carbon deposits that may smear and stain the leather when you are trying to clean it off. I don't know if this would be acceptable for your products. The smell can indeed be a problem. You can't fabricate and pack a product immediately as your customers will be a little overwhelmed when they open the package. This can create some production issues.

I would seriously investigate water-jet cutting for thick leather, and reserve the laser for decorating. I doubt that you will find low-cost waterjet equipment comparable in price to a Chinese laser, but maybe there is some lighter-duty Asian equipment out there.

Search on <leather cutting waterjet> and similar to see what people are doing. You may find someone that you can subcontract your work - maybe even a local shop.

Mike Null
05-12-2012, 12:28 PM
I have customers who die cut leather if the volume is high enough.

Eric Luther
05-12-2012, 12:33 PM
I have customers who die cut leather if the volume is high enough.

I have 2 dies I use, but the designs are intricate so the dies arent 100% accurate and I have a lot of people asking to make itmes for them, which is why I'm looking into investing in a laser.

George Carlson
05-12-2012, 9:08 PM
I agree, leather at 1/4" will be tough. I cut it with my 60W laser. I found it really helps to case the leather first. It seems the slight dampness helps the laser go through and controls the ash. The leather also lies much flatter.

Eric Luther
05-12-2012, 9:32 PM
I agree, leather at 1/4" will be tough. I cut it with my 60W laser. I found it really helps to case the leather first. It seems the slight dampness helps the laser go through and controls the ash. The leather also lies much flatter.

Thank you George I was curious about casing or prepping with neatsfoot

Mike Null
05-13-2012, 9:19 AM
Eric

This is an interesting topic. Please keep us posted as to your findings and progress.

Eric Luther
05-14-2012, 8:19 PM
I will! Still trying to desire which one I can afford. lol