PDA

View Full Version : Who DOES NOT drink coffee?

Chris Padilla
05-11-2012, 12:32 PM
I do not drink coffee...never developed a taste for it I guess. Both my folks and brother drink it but not in excess.

My wife doesn't drink it either. People wonder how I got through grad school! LOL!

I think coffee smells wonderful...it just doesn't taste anything like it smells!!

I pretty much dislike anything coffee-flavored: ice cream, various desserts (Tiramasu??), candy. Yuck yuck yuck.

I hate functions where all they serve is coffee...I have to find a water fountain or a vending machine for OJ or something (I don't drink much pop, either).

Anyone else? Am I it?! LOL

Bob Lloyd
05-11-2012, 1:03 PM
No, I do not drink coffee, only tea. But I am English which might have something to do with it! My brother just drinks coffee, go figure! I have the same problems at functions , always a pain to find the tea.

Steve Meliza
05-11-2012, 1:06 PM
My wife likes the smell but doesn't like the taste. I hate the taste and find the smell repulsive. I can detect coffee in deserts and baked goods at even the tiniest of concentrations which makes it unpalatable to me.

When I showed up for jury duty earlier this week they had plenty of free coffee for all. Want some water? That's up on the main floor, but please don't leave the room till we release everyone on a break. It's offensive if you allow it to get to you, but so will everything else in life so I just sucked it up.

Lee Ludden
05-11-2012, 1:10 PM
I don't touch the stuff. I drink diet soda for my caffeine. I don't care for the taste, but the (true) story I tell is that when I was a kid, my Dad would take me on fishing and hunting trips and he'd always bring a thermos of coffee. I asked him several times to bring hot water and make instant coffee and I could make hot chocolate. He refused saying "I don't like instant coffee, and someday you'll drink coffee like the rest of us". I never have, and thus can say I was right about something when I was a kid.

John C Lawson
05-11-2012, 1:33 PM
No coffee for me. Never developed a taste for it or any hot drinks, except for the occasional tea. One spoonful of coffee ice cream is OK. My caffeine comes from Coke. I forced myself to switch from regular Coke to Coke Zero last year and thereby have lost 27 pounds so far.

Jeff Monson
05-11-2012, 1:33 PM
I think coffee smells wonderful...it just doesn't taste anything like it smells!!

Amen to that!

Brian Elfert
05-11-2012, 2:12 PM
I don't drink coffee. I think the smell is awful. My parents nor my brothers drink coffee. I do usually drink two cans of diet Mt Dew every day.

alan miller
05-11-2012, 4:01 PM
I have never drank coffee.Don't like the smell or the taste.Never understood the big deal over something that was so nasty.

Brian Kent
05-11-2012, 5:17 PM
I love coffee, but have a greater blaspheme. I hate the taste and smell of beer. I like it for killing snails and slugs though.

ray hampton
05-11-2012, 6:28 PM
I give up drinking coffee, my caffeine are tea and coke

Kevin W Johnson
05-11-2012, 6:32 PM
I gave up drinking coffee when i was about 6 I think. Yeah, really. I used to get up after my dad went to work and finish his coffee, it did have creamer and sugar in it though.

My wife drinks coffee, I just never developed a taste for it as an adult.

Rick Gooden
05-11-2012, 6:45 PM
I don't care for the taste or smell, same with beer. Water and unsweetened tea works for me. I once was addicted to MT. Dew but now maybe drink 10 cans a year. My wife loves coffee.

Brian Effinger
05-11-2012, 8:51 PM
I'm with you, Chris, right up to the smell part. I don't care for the smell either. Don't like tea, either. I think I've only had coffee once or twice in my life. And even then it was only a few sips, just to be polite.

Leo Graywacz
05-11-2012, 9:06 PM
Don't touch the stuff. We got a home warming basket when we bought our house and it had coffee in it. Maxwell House instant I believe. We still have it, unopened. We've been in our house for 24 years now. If I want caffeine I get it by Coke Zero.

Gordon Eyre
05-11-2012, 9:26 PM
I have never had a cup of coffee. I guess that makes me a little strange. Course I have never had a beer either.

Ole Anderson
05-11-2012, 9:33 PM
Neither my wife nor I have had a cup of coffee in our life, nor have we smoked. I might drink a six pack of beer in a year. And I am half Swede, we are supposed to love coffee. I like the smell of fresh ground beans and freshly brewed coffee but just don't care for the taste. Coffee breath on others, not so much. However, I do remember a dessert my mom made called mystery mocha, which was a chocolate pudding/cake concoction, which I loved, with coffee as an ingredient. Now I am allergic to chocolate (and cola products). Sometimes it's not easy being me...

Ken Fitzgerald
05-11-2012, 9:46 PM
My wife loves the smell of coffee and hates the taste.

Me.....I have made a request to be enacted at my demise. After the service, before they close the casket I want to be buried in a pair of jeans, a t-shirt with a pocket. I want a pack of Marlboros in the pocket with a book of matches, and a cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup placed beside me before they close the casket and bury me.

I love my coffee!

Kevin W Johnson
05-11-2012, 9:49 PM
Neither my wife nor I have had a cup of coffee in our life, nor have we smoked. I might drink a six pack of beer in a year. And I am half Swede, we are supposed to love coffee. I like the smell of fresh ground beans and freshly brewed coffee but just don't care for the taste. Coffee breath on others, not so much. However, I do remember a dessert my mom made called mystery mocha, which was a chocolate pudding/cake concoction, which I loved, with coffee as an ingredient. Now I am allergic to chocolate (and cola products). Sometimes it's not easy being me...

I can add that I don't drink tea either, maybe a glass a year, nor do the wife or I smoke, and beer just goes bad in our house too. In fact there are two Bud's in the fridge with a Feb 06 born on date. And someone I helped over the phone with their computer dropped off a 6 pack of Bud platinum over a month ago that has yet to be touched.

Sorry to about your chocolate situation.... my wife would go ape without occasional chocolate.

Kevin W Johnson
05-11-2012, 9:51 PM
My wife loves the smell of coffee and hates the taste.

Me.....I have made a request to be enacted at my demise. After the service, before they close the casket I want to be buried in a pair of jeans, a t-shirt with a pocket. I want a pack of Marlboros in the pocket with a book of matches, and a cup of coffee in a styrofoam cup placed beside me before they close the casket and bury me.

I love my coffee!

I'm trying to work the logistics of being buried in my shop with all my tools.... :eek:

ray hampton
05-11-2012, 10:02 PM
I can add that I don't drink tea either, maybe a glass a year, nor do the wife or I smoke, and beer just goes bad in our house too. In fact there are two Bud's in the fridge with a Feb 06 born on date. And someone I helped over the phone with their computer dropped off a 6 pack of Bud platinum over a month ago that has yet to be touched.

Sorry to about your chocolate situation.... my wife would go ape without occasional .

chocolate are good for your health , soooo tellll your wife to eat up

Jim O'Dell
05-11-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm also not a coffee drinker...beer neither. I grew up with both in the house. I would drink the coffee with lots of sugar and milk in it when I was little, but the sips of beer Dad let me try just turned me inside out. My line to my friends in High School that invited me to go drinking with them was I didn't like the taste. They said you have to develop a taste for it. I countered with, yeah my Mom said the same thing about spinach. :D
LOML isn't a coffee drinker either. We did finally break down and bought a coffee brewer when friends would come and stay with us for dog show weekends and would get up and go to McDonalds for their coffee each morning. We felt like bad hosts. We keep the coffee in the freezer hoping it keeps it fresher. I think we still have one can of decaf in there that's about 16 years old.:o Jim.

Ryan Mooney
05-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Don't touch the stuff. We got a home warming basket when we bought our house and it had coffee in it. Maxwell House instant I believe. We still have it, unopened. We've been in our house for 24 years now. If I want caffeine I get it by Coke Zero.

You know its just time to throw that out! Seriously! :eek:

I actually LIKE the taste and smell of coffee but have to seriously restrict my intake. If I have to much (to much is about one cup per day) it starts acting as a depressant after about 2 weeks. If I keep it to a minimum it acts as a mild stimulant (as per normal). Take a cup of coffee and take a nap. I thought it was pretty weird but have since met at least two other people with the same effect, so apparently its not that uncommon. I also suckered loml into home roasting and grinding (wasn't a hard sell) which makes for a much better smell and flavor. Old coffee tastes rancid.

Paul Gallian
05-11-2012, 11:39 PM
i love the smell and the taste of coffee but it does not like me -- one cup and 2 days of diarrhea! not the caffein because tea and coke do not do it.....

I can get to the bathroom in 2 seconds LOL

Jay Rasmussen
05-12-2012, 3:16 AM
I enjoy a cup or two of strong coffee in the morning, but it has to be hot. The rest of the day it’s mostly water with unsweetened tea for lunch.

I think good coffee tastes as good as it smells (emphasis on good). All coffee is NOT created equal.

Rick Potter
05-12-2012, 3:58 AM
Add me to the list. In 1964, when I started as a Fireman, I was the only one around who didn't drink coffee or smoke. My parents both drank a lot of coffee. My wife's folks drank a lot of coffee, and smoked continually. Neither of us smoke, drink coffee, or drink booze of any kind. Love the smell of coffee beans, and unlit tobacco. Guess that makes us weirdos.

We drink sodas and a ton of unsweetened ice tea. Seldom drink hot tea.

Rick Potter

Chris Damm
05-12-2012, 10:26 AM
I never drink coffee but I think that was about the only vice I didn't pick up! The rest of the vices have been given up now that I'm old.

Bill Huber
05-12-2012, 11:35 AM
Man am out an outcast in this thread.....

I start out in the morning with 3 cups of black coffee and then one on the way to work. When I get to work I get another one and generally have one going all day. Now when I get home in the evening I just drink ice tea, unsweetened in a 16 oz mug and have 2 or 3 of those a night.

ray hampton
05-12-2012, 12:31 PM
I have never had a cup of coffee. I guess that makes me a little strange. Course I have never had a beer either.

your upset stomach will think you for not drinking coffee or beer

John C Lawson
05-12-2012, 4:33 PM
I don't drink beer either. I can't even be polite about it. But I'll top you on blasphemy: I don't like chocolate chip cookies.

Kevin W Johnson
05-12-2012, 6:27 PM
I don't like chocolate chip cookies.

I don't like chocolate chip cookies that are hard, or any hard cookies for that matter.

ray hampton
05-12-2012, 7:01 PM
I don't like chocolate chip cookies that are hard, or any hard cookies for that matter.

hard cookies are made for dipping into hot coffee or hot tea

Art Mulder
05-13-2012, 9:16 AM
+1

I'm also not a coffee drinker...beer neither.
+1 again...

Smells great, tastes like burnt ashes.
Beer has an equally horrid taste. Tried to develop a taste, never did.

Why bother, I'd rather have a milkshake or fruit smoothie?!

Curt Fuller
05-13-2012, 10:13 AM

When I read the OP to this thread my first thought was Chris should move to Utah if he doesn't like attending functions where they serve only coffee;). I'm not a Mormon but most of my friends, neighbors, relatives that are don't drink coffee (or beer) because of their religious beliefs. So growing up in that environment I never developed the coffee habit, although beer did get a pretty good grip on me. :rolleyes: I like coffee and will drink it when it's available, but I don't make coffee at home so most days I go without. In fact, I'm sure there's a Starbucks somewhere around here but I honestly couldn't tell you where it is.

Steven Hsieh
05-13-2012, 1:13 PM
I drink coffee once in a while.

Charles Wiggins
05-13-2012, 6:42 PM
I don't drink coffee, mostly because I rarely drink hot liquids. If it is cold enough for me to want something warm, I'd rather have cocoa or maybe mocha. On the rare occasion I want caffeine, I'll usually drink soda pop.

Van Huskey
05-15-2012, 1:09 AM
Put me in the smells great taste horrible camp.

Now beer is a different story. I ENJOY the taste of beer, though I don't drink it daily, more like weekly. I enjoy really heavy complex beer and only dislike weak nasty American lagers or what I consider over-hopped. I am more sensitive to the bitterness of hops than most beer drinkers.

Kevin Gregoire
05-15-2012, 7:56 PM
i love the smell of coffee and really love the smell of coffee beans in the stores but i dont drink it
i did drink it a little many years ago in the winter time at a job i had but that was it.

Bill Cunningham
05-15-2012, 9:56 PM
I LOVE a good cup of coffee, the stronger the better..I have a espresso machine on the counter, and enjoy a double shot 4 o r 5 times a week.. I am not really a beer drinker, I like it, but I have one, and I have a tendency to fall asleep.. I drink de-alcholized beer, or American beer if I'm in the states (same thing :D).. I'm a big guy, but have a low tolerance to alcohol, I can get dizzy on a single 'NewCastle Brown" When I was a kid, I 'loved' the smell of a cigar.. Now, after being a non smoker for the last 30 years, even the smell of a cigarette can make me woof my cookies.. But Coffee is GREAT!!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
05-15-2012, 10:16 PM
I LOVE a good cup of coffee, the stronger the better... Coffee is GREAT!!

I'm with you Bill. At least 3-16 oz. cups a day. Beer . . . you can have it.

Rod Sheridan
05-16-2012, 8:33 AM
Hi Chris, same for me, coffee smells so wonderful, tastes so awful.......I like tea, generally drink Earl Grey at work, however at home there's a wide variety to choose from............Regards, Rod.

Chris Padilla
05-16-2012, 4:23 PM
Cool...I'm not the only one, I guess! :)

I love beer but not the mass-produced domestic swill. Guinness is my favorite but I love a lot of the microbrews, too. I don't drink so much anymore but do overindulge when I "go out with da boyz" every 3-4-5 months. Otherwise, I can go many weeks and even months between beer drinking.

I'm not much of a tea drinker, either, but my wife drinks a lot of tea. We have one drawer in the kitchen dedicated to her tea collection. :)

I drink mostly water and rarely drink soda or pop or "coke" anymore as I'm working to remove sugar from my diet.

My wife does buy too much of those fruit juices...those are full of sugar, too. Trying to get her to cut back on that or buy the low-sugar or no-sugar-added type ones.

I've also given up on cow milk...makes my innards crazy. I'm on almond milk now and all is well with my weekend cereal indulgence.

Jim Tobias
05-17-2012, 12:02 AM
I do love a good cup of coffee! And after seeing this today, might just love it more!!
Jim

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/05/coffee-really-does-make-you-live-longer/257302/

Rich Engelhardt
05-17-2012, 4:54 AM
I drink the stuff, but, I don't consider myself a coffee drinker.
It's just one of those things that it's easier to drink it to be polite than it is to abstain from drinking.

& no - after 50 years, I still haven't gottne used to the taste...
It's horrid, but, I do like the "kick" of a couple cups in the morning..

Anthony Whitesell
05-17-2012, 5:35 AM
I guess I'm worse. I don't like the taste or the smell. I can stand a single whiff, but the lingering odor is kind of nasty. I agree with you, the fact they are so willing to serve coffee but nothing for the rest of us is kind of annoying.

Lex Boegen
05-17-2012, 5:30 PM
I would throw my mother under a bus before I'd give up coffee (and I love my mother!) It's good that many of you choose not to drink coffee, because it leaves more for me! Thank you.

Bill Cunningham
05-17-2012, 9:47 PM
I would throw my mother under a bus before I'd give up coffee (and I love my mother!) It's good that many of you choose not to drink coffee, because it leaves more for me! Thank you.

Here here!!!

Art Mulder
05-18-2012, 2:25 PM
I drink the stuff, but, I don't consider myself a coffee drinker.
It's just one of those things that it's easier to drink it to be polite than it is to abstain from drinking.

& no - after 50 years, I still haven't gottne used to the taste...
It's horrid, but, I do like the "kick" of a couple cups in the morning..

I vote for this as possibly the most bizarre post in this thread.
You don't like it, but you still drink a couple of cups each morning, and have been disliking it and drinking it for 50 years!?!?

Seriously!?