PDA

View Full Version : Help needed with painting cherry

Scott Loven
03-31-2005, 6:18 PM
I have a few hundred bf of cherry that has been sitting around my garage for a few years that my wife wants me to do something with. I was going to burn it but decided to just continue burning that funny looking maple that my wife thinks looks kind of like a quilt. Anyway I have been racking my brain when the idea came to me that I could make a bunch of those lawn cut-outs and paint them and sell them at flea markets and such. So what do you guys recommend, should I prime the cherry first, or just paint it straight off? Any other ideas of what I could do with it? Anyone need one of those old ladies bending over for your lawn, I should have a bunch of them made by this weekend!
Scott

Richard Wolf
03-31-2005, 6:24 PM
Ofcourse this must be a joke, right. If you are not going to use the cherry wisely, at least sell it and buy a ton of MDO to make all the lawn junk that you want.
The quilted maple was also a joke, right????

Richard

Jim Becker
03-31-2005, 6:39 PM
AAAAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Anybody know how to do self-CPR?

Byron Trantham
03-31-2005, 6:44 PM
I suggest you exercise a "stay of execution" as I am SURE there are those of us who may live close to you and would LOVE to remove your burden!

Bob Yarbrough
03-31-2005, 6:53 PM
I'd make the trip down from Stillwater for a good score on some cherry! :D

Chris Daigh
03-31-2005, 6:54 PM
Scott you sure have a twisted mind. I thought I was going to get sick. Theres just no way anyone has ever painted cherry is there. I'm thinking no one ever, ever has painted cherry. I see your from Decorah. I went to Simpson College in Indianola and ran a few cross-country races up there. Very nice area for Iowa.

Ken Shoemaker
03-31-2005, 8:43 PM
I have an idea.... Play a joke on a guy... Ship all that cherry to him without telling him... Think the suprised look on his face... my address is.......

Joanne Adler
03-31-2005, 9:11 PM
Paint cherry? You DO realize that April Fool's Day isn't until tomorrow, right?

Doug Shepard
03-31-2005, 9:22 PM
:eek: Philistine!! Blasphemer!! Heretic!!:eek: :eek:

I'm gonna say a prayer for your wood tonight.:D

Corey Hallagan
03-31-2005, 9:26 PM
Hi Scott, just put 2 and 2 together... your the guy I just bought my Kreg Pro Pack, videos etc. from this last weekend on ebay. Didnt realize you were at the Creek here!
Like the others say, your kidding on the cherry stock right?

Corey

david hines
03-31-2005, 9:52 PM
i heard that wall mart paint is the best there is. You dont even have to sand or prime. It will cover in 1 coat and they have lots of colors.

David Fried
03-31-2005, 10:08 PM
In the old days you'd be linseed oiled and feathered and run out of the shop on a fence rail!

Of course, we're much more civilized now. ;)

Per Swenson
03-31-2005, 10:25 PM
The fastest most economical way to paint
your scrap lumber is to use the tool shown below.
It so happens that we have one just like it for sale.
I will even throw in 550 gallons of both
yellow and white, if it helps close the deal.
You can lay your boards end to end and do them all at once!
Guarranteed impervious.
Allow me to fax you a contract.
Per

Roger Myers
03-31-2005, 10:27 PM
just checked my watch and the SMC clock....no, it's not April 1st yet...must be some other rational explanation....hmmmmmm

Alan Tolchinsky
03-31-2005, 10:29 PM
Not really; it would ruin his new sandpaper.

Richard Wolf
03-31-2005, 10:56 PM
I bet those old ladies bending over will go real well with the plastic pink flamingos on your front lawn and the couch on your porch.

Richard

Jerry Olexa
03-31-2005, 11:23 PM
Surely, you jest!! I would cringe if you painted over cherry!:) :D I assume you're being humorous.

Bill Arnold
04-01-2005, 4:18 AM
April Fool!!!

Scott Loven
04-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Ya, I am kidding about the cherry, I do have about 350 BF of it that has been sitting in my garage for two years drying. Some of it is from a tree in my yard that died and I cut down. I hauled six 6-8foot logs to a local guy that has a bandsaw mill. I got about 150 bf of cherry for my efforts He cut it for me for $.15 a bf. He also had about 200bf of cherry that he was drying that he sold to me for $.60 a bf. He also had around 300bf of walnut that he wanted $1.50 a bf for. He would only sell it as a lot and I didnt want to tie-up a lot of cash. It was gone when I went back a few days later to pick up the cherry.
Scott

Per Swenson
04-01-2005, 10:57 AM
I suppose you won't be needing our painting
equipment. I will foward our information packet
in case you need our services in the future.
Maybe if we throw in 1100 gallons?
Per

Keith Christopher
04-01-2005, 11:07 AM
This HAS to be an april fools joke. Oh the humanity ! My poor giddy heart.

Keith

Dick Latshaw
04-01-2005, 1:20 PM
Anyway I have been racking my brain when the idea came to me that I could make a bunch of those lawn cut-outs and paint them and sell them at flea markets and such.

Hey Scott -

If those lawn things are going to sit around outdoors, you probably don't want to paint them. Just get some of that dark walnut stain like Norm uses, smear some all over, and then give them about five coats of high gloss polyurethane. Should hold up just fine and those flea market people really like that glossy finish.

Dick