PDA

View Full Version : Irwing Record hand planes

Matthew N. Masail
05-11-2012, 9:28 AM
Although I plan to make my own wooden planes, I want to do so as a fun project, taking my time and making them as I truly want. but in the meanwhile I'm in need of a Jointer. the only production models available new here (used are hard to find, and most are no.4) are the new Irwin Record plans.
http://www.record-planes.com/26/record-no-05-jack-plane/

I have my eye on the Veritas BU Jointer, but it's out of my price range and the moment... should I buy Record and hope for good or save up and make do until I can get the Veritas? has anyone tried the record? Thanks.

David Weaver
05-11-2012, 9:38 AM
I think any quickly made laminated jointer (solid wedge and cross pin) would serve you better. If it twists, you can easily true it, you don't have to be particular in making it if it's something you're using often.

You'll just want to find an iron that's thick enough to be of good service on a wooden plane with a wedge.

Zach England
05-11-2012, 9:45 AM
I have a record smoothing plane that I am told dates from the 1990s and it is a good plane. I don't know if this is of the same ilk of the planes available to you and I do not know how it was out of the box as I am not the original owner, but as it is now it is comparable to a good vintage Stanley. I like the blue.

Matthew N. Masail
05-11-2012, 11:19 AM
I like the blue too, but I've found that if a tool works well you end up loving it even if its bright pink. if it dosen't you hate it no matter what.
David I have a Lee Valley O1 2 1/8 inch blade for wodden planes, I wish I felt confident or had someone who could help me get it right. I've just been left a little intimidated by my first plane attempts... after the first let down I made a small finger plane that works well but if I try to take a full width shaving the wedge lossens and the blade falls out...

Maurice Ungaro
05-11-2012, 11:22 AM
I have a similar vintage Record #7 as Zach, with wood tote and knob. It's a really nice plane. If I were you, I'd check eBay for a similar one. Not sure about the Irwin planes, but their chisels are no longer made in Sheffield, England - they're made in China. I suspect the same source for the planes. Older Record planes are serviceable gems.

Zach England
05-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Matthew, do you have the David Finck book?

Sean Richards
05-11-2012, 5:31 PM
Matthew some of my favourite tools are made by Record but like Stanley the quality of their tools declined considerably after the 1950s.

Pat Larkin
05-11-2012, 8:26 PM
I can't comment on the Irwin/Record planes, but I do know the Irwin/Marples chisels being sold are no where near the same quality an the Marples chisels were. Much less steel and poor finish

Sam Takeuchi
05-11-2012, 9:14 PM
I also recommend vintage Record. I didn't know Record branded planes were still produced, I thought they stopped producing planes several years ago. As far as I remember, brand new modern Record jointer cost quite a bit, 100 some dollars if I remember correctly, with screw lever cap, black plastic handle/knob and not that great of a quality overall. I don't know how much a new Record jointer cost you there in Israel, but if the price is somewhere around that, you might be better off buying a vintage Record (pre-early 1960s) or Stanley. Even if you take shipping into consideration, I don't think price difference is all that much unless brand new jointer is a lot cheaper there.

If it's too expensive, you can pony up for a wooden or transitional jointers. Other than them made from wood, there is nothing wrong with them in terms of functionality. Of course some are total junk and put together with mismatched parts, but if you think you are going to buy high quality planes later on, it might be worth looking into it.

There are budget line of planes under Anant, Groz, and Kunz brands. Even if you find good deals on them, don't touch those. Simply pathetically bad fit and finish, overall quality and you'd have to invest considerable time to make it usable.

Paul Saffold
05-11-2012, 10:13 PM
There is a Stanley #7 posted in the "Classified" section. I don't know if the postage would be a deal killer though.

Matthew N. Masail
05-12-2012, 1:37 PM
Thanks Guys.... the new No.7 here is way above 100$... taking all into account I think I am going to try building a wooden one... I have the David Finck book, but I used a glued in pin for my first attempt.. I guess I'll just have to make another plane and hope it works.

Kenneth Speed
05-13-2012, 1:24 PM
Matthew,

I don't know if this would work for you or not but if I had to have only one plane I'd choose the LV bevel up jack plane in the blink of an eye. It will act as a jack plane, a smoother, and a jointer plane. You could even sharpen a blade with a lot of camber and use it as a scrub plane if you chose. I know its more money in one plane than what you want to spend but it isn't really just one plane either.

Matthew N. Masail
05-13-2012, 2:03 PM
Thanks for the advice, I've heard that before about the jack plane... I have no problem spending that much on a plane, trust me.. if I had it I'd spend a lot more than that (-: but I don't have any money right now and I need a jointer soo... I wish I had meterial to practice making screw caps...