PDA

View Full Version : I had a nice lathe...

Thomas Bennett
05-11-2012, 9:03 AM
It was even kind of unique. It was the only Powermatic 3520 model"C" in the world. See thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?85671-PM-5220-model-quot-C-quot&highlight= Now I have a big hole in the turning corner of the shop.

Roger Chandler
05-11-2012, 9:23 AM
Okay, I'll bite............what are you replacing it with? Sounds like a big announcement is about to be forthcoming!

Roger Chandler
05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Now that I saw your old thread, I suppose you were intending to show the upgrade you made on it..........that is pretty ingenious, and good luck on the table top..........that is going to be a beaut!

Now that I think about it a bit more...........I think this thread is a big tease............what will fill the empty space where the 5520c used to occupy?

Curt Stivison
05-11-2012, 2:41 PM
I know but promised not to tell. But that is as clean as I have ever seen any part of his shop.

Curt

Thomas Bennett
05-11-2012, 5:05 PM
here's the replacement

Brian Kent
05-11-2012, 5:14 PM
Fantastic! You are replacing it with a covered crate on a trailor. I have always wanted one of those.

Thomas Bennett
05-11-2012, 6:07 PM
I know, enough teasing...I wanted something with some more power. I looked at the Stubby and the VB. Both are great machines made in other countries. The Robust folks were great to deal with. I'm trying to get used to the pleasure, and convenience of the remote switch. I am only on my first turning and have not yet tried the massive steadyrest or the outboard tool rest. The tailstock "swing-away" works great. The more I look around the lathe, I keep finding pleasant little details. The "fit and finish" is excelent. Now I understand why there is always a lot of fuss about the Robusts. It is heavy, The shipping invoice said 1100 pounds. Many thanks to fellow creeker Curt Stivison for helping me unload and set up the machine.

ray hampton
05-11-2012, 6:31 PM
why did you take it out of the crate ?

Alan Trout
05-11-2012, 6:48 PM
Thomas,

Congratulations on the new lathe. Now just go have some fun. I can't wait to pick up my new Robust at SWAT this year.

Alan

Baxter Smith
05-11-2012, 7:15 PM
Congrats on a great lathe. Can hardly wait to see what color you paint it.;):)

Brian Kent
05-11-2012, 7:21 PM
And still 1/3 the cost of a new bass boat. Think of all the money you just saved!

Jim Underwood
05-11-2012, 7:58 PM
You had a nice lathe, and now the lathe you have is....

Jenny Trice
05-11-2012, 8:09 PM
Very nice. Now, what happened to the old one?

Jake Helmboldt
05-11-2012, 9:59 PM
why did you take it out of the crate ?

And off the trailer! It would have been a lot easier to move around the shop if left on the trailer. Some people don't think ahead.

Jamie Donaldson
05-11-2012, 10:31 PM
Brian, you obviously have priced bass boats lately! Some are now over $50K!!!:eek:

Rich Aldrich
05-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Nice lathe. I think it was a wise move taking out of the crate and off the trailer. I hope to own one some day - as a retirement present possibly.

Kathy Marshall
05-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Congrats on the new lathe! What a beauty! See all the new Robust lathes posted recently has given me a major case of lathe envy! :D

Paul Gallian
05-11-2012, 11:32 PM
The grinder stool looks cool (in the background) -- congrats on the new lathe..... use it often with pride.

Brian Kent
05-11-2012, 11:44 PM
Brian, you obviously have priced bass boats lately! Some are now over $50K!!!:eek:

Gulp! I think I'll stick with the $60/day rental (including gas).

Greg Just
05-12-2012, 8:57 AM
Congratulations! It sure is a Beauty! :) I have to ask what that hindged cabinet is hanging on the wall behind the lathe?

Joe McMahon
05-12-2012, 11:49 AM
I picked up my Robust Sweet 16 two weeks ago. I thoroughly agree that Brent is a great person to deal with. The lathe is beyond words! He seems to have thought of everything. His engineer & finish are superb. I bought mine as an early 65th birthday present to myself.

Happy turning!

Steve Schlumpf
05-12-2012, 1:53 PM
Congrats!!! You are going to love that lathe!!

John Keeton
05-12-2012, 2:58 PM
Thomas, you have joined an elite group, that is for sure!! Congrats!

Thomas Bennett
05-13-2012, 8:51 PM
It's easy to brag about something you've bought. I'd rather show off something made with skill, as so many do here on the forum. I'm always reluctant to show my work due to the crappy photographs I am an expert at creating. My next aquistion (or fabrication) will be a light tent.Brian Kent commented "And still 1/3 the cost of a new bass boat. Think of all the money you just saved!" We call it "Half-a-Harley" around here. Jenny Trice asked about what I did with the "Model C"...sold it to a local turner, who happens to be a neighbor. So far, he has cored a huge amunt of box elder. Great wood for a beginning "corer". Paul Gallian commented on the "stool grinder", my own invention, that needs some work. I've been chasing that wheel around all weekend. I previously had workbenches along that wall. After 5 or six years, they were full of extra tools, blanks and a bunch of junk I will never use. I want to keep the area simple. I plan on mounting the grinder to the wall on a small shelf. Greg Just asked, " I have to ask what that hindged cabinet is hanging on the wall behind the lathe? " It's a 36 inch fan, wired into the three phase. It makes sanding a "breeze" I can't use it in the winter as it will pull the smoke right out of the chimney, which is 50 feet away in another room. Several times I filled the shop up with smoke by accident. Congratulations to Joe McMahon for his new Sweet Sixteen. I wanted to drive to Wisconsin and pick mine up but the freight charge was less than the travel money. Time on the road, open trailer, etc, all added up to just have it shipped. I really wanted to meet Brent and Deb and see their shop. Alan Trout, I'll bet you're getting excited! August will be here before you know it! Thanks again to everyone.

Donny Lawson
05-14-2012, 5:27 PM
Now that's just plum purdy. Maybe one of these days I might move up.

Nate Davey
05-14-2012, 6:27 PM
Congrats Thomas, and nice ventilation system. I hope to order mine in Sept.

Dan Hintz
05-14-2012, 7:15 PM
Welcome to the club :)

Curt Stivison
05-14-2012, 9:57 PM
If you guys don't stop he is going to be harder than ever to live with. Since he cleaned up his shop it is harder to slip out the door with all the curly maple he used to have laying around.
Curt