PDA

View Full Version : Minimax MM16/MM20 discontinued?

mreza Salav
05-10-2012, 10:53 PM
It appears the MM16 (and MM20) bandsaws are discontinued, at least here in Canada one of the suppliers told me and is not carrying it anymore.
They said there are new models (forgot the name but something like SP400?) which are essentially the same but a lot more expensive.
I see that Minimax USA still shows MM16/MM20.
Does anybody know what's the story behind these? What are the prices? I could get an MM16 for $2900 here (and MM20 for $3900) and the
new series are like $1k more each! (or as I'm told).

Erik Loza
05-10-2012, 11:49 PM
Mreza,

You are partially correct. The names have indeed changed for 2012 but the machines remain essentially the same. All MM-series bandsaws are now designated by their Metric sizing, rather than Imperial. MM16 = S400P, MM20 = S500P, etc. We still refer to them as the "MM16", "MM20", and so on the US website, since there is a lot of name equity in those model numbers and we did not want to lose that during the switchover.

I can assure you 100% that it is still the same saw that has always rolled off the Centauro line for us, made in Italy. There have been a couple of minor structural changes to the upper cabinet and also, the MM's now come standard with American-made Carter bearing guides. Otherwise, same saws everyone knows. I can't comment on any price difference in the Canadian market: We haven't seen any increases down here.

Hope this helps,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Van Huskey
05-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Erik,

Which series of Carter guides are being used? 2000 series ie 2300/2400, Guidall or Micro Precision.

Erik Loza
05-11-2012, 1:03 AM
Van, they are the Micro-Precisions.

Thanks,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

mreza Salav
05-11-2012, 1:13 AM
Thanks for the update Erik.
On previous series the price different wasn' significant in US and Canada as I understood, a couple of hundreds or so (I could get a MM16 for around $2900 up here until a few weeks ago).
If there hasn't been any price increase in US I am wondering why such a jump in Canada....

Rick Fisher
05-11-2012, 3:28 AM
Mreza.. I am curious if you are on the East, Center or West coast of Canada. .

On the west coast, they have a new dealer .. not sure if that will help..

Erik Loza
05-11-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the update Erik.
On previous series the price different wasn' significant in US and Canada as I understood, a couple of hundreds or so (I could get a MM16 for around $2900 up here until a few weeks ago).
If there hasn't been any price increase in US I am wondering why such a jump in Canada....

Sure thing, Mreza.

I'm afraid that I don't have an answer for you on the pricing-thing. We sell directly to the end user, down here in the States, as opposed to through the dealer network like you folks do. That may have something to do with it.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

mreza Salav
05-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Who is the dealer on the West coast, Rick?
I'm in Edmonton. KMS tools used to carry MM series and I had talked to them a couple of times about pricing and package.
I spoke to the head office yesterday and was told they are trying to get a better pricing and if needed they'd try to get it directly
from Italy. Not sure who is the importer in Canada. I have heard from one other person that the pricing in Ontario has jumped too.

John Coloccia
05-11-2012, 12:25 PM
It's nice to see you here, Erik. Can you still get the bandsaws with the European style guides?

Ryan Brucks
05-11-2012, 12:26 PM
My S400p actually had one very small unexpected upgrade. I thought that the MM20 had a junction box, while the MM16 just had a wire (thats what the yahoo group said anyways).

I got my S400P and everything is the same except it has a junction box for the wiring, just like my CU300 only bit smaller. And the Blue bar and "MM16" does not appear on the top door. Instead there's a thin red line and S400P and Minimax on the bottom door.

But the text Mm16 does show up on some small labels, like by the tension gauge it says MM16 stilll....

where the old blue line on the top door was, there is a little safetly label kinda like the agazannawazawhooseees. is it wrong that I thought about putting blue painters tape over it :)

My s400p did not have the new carter guides though...

Erik Loza
05-11-2012, 12:55 PM
It's nice to see you here, Erik. Can you still get the bandsaws with the European style guides?

Hi, John. Yes, you should still be able to order the Euro-style guides from SCM Parts. It's "the" standard guide set for most bandsaws sold in Europe, so I doubt they are going anywhere, soon.

My S400p actually had one very small unexpected upgrade. I thought that the MM20 had a junction box, while the MM16 just had a wire (thats what the yahoo group said anyways).

I got my S400P and everything is the same except it has a junction box for the wiring, just like my CU300 only bit smaller. And the Blue bar and "MM16" does not appear on the top door. Instead there's a thin red line and S400P and Minimax on the bottom door.

But the text Mm16 does show up on some small labels, like by the tension gauge it says MM16 stilll....

where the old blue line on the top door was, there is a little safetly label kinda like the agazannawazawhooseees. is it wrong that I thought about putting blue painters tape over it :)

My s400p did not have the new carter guides though...

Ryan, my guess would be that the factory still has a bunch of the Euro-style guides (I assume that's what your saw has...) and is just installing those until they run out of stock, then will make the complete switch to the Carters. That would be pretty par for the course on the assembly line. Parts that we do not manufacture ourselves, such as guides, are bought in huge quantities, then used until the supply is gone. That would explain your "MM16" decals, too. We received a new promotional brochure from Italy which shows the Carters on all the 2012 S-Professional series (the MM's), so that's why I mentioned it. Believe this or not, those Carter guides were actually standard equipment on the S45 bandsaw, many years ago. I've used them as well the Euro-guides and do not find any functional difference, so please don't feel like you are missing out on anything.

Regarding the wiring, yes, the earlier MM's did indeed have a pigtail. Now, they all come standard with the J-box you are describing. It does make life a lot easier.

Thanks and hope this helps,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Ryan Brucks
05-11-2012, 1:00 PM
thanks for clearing it up. No I dont feel like I was missing out, as they were not advertised to me as an upgrade. In fact the switchover took place in the middle of my decision to buy :)

Erik Loza
05-11-2012, 1:04 PM
No worries, Ryan. Now, if we can just get the factory to include a manual and parts schematic that is less than five years out of date, THAT would be a real ugrade!

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Van Huskey
05-11-2012, 6:32 PM
Van, they are the Micro-Precisions.

Thanks,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

That is good to here, it is the guide in the Carter line I actually consider an upgrade to the guides on my MM20.