PDA

View Full Version : I made an expensive mistake on Monday.

Dave Zellers
05-10-2012, 5:49 PM
And it arrived today. A medium Veritas shoulder plane.

OMG. I don't have any hand tools this nice.

I already want more.

Mike Allen1010
05-10-2012, 6:12 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope!

Come on down to the Neanderthal "Cave" and you can commiserate with plenty of other hand tool addicts who will gladly enable your new "problem" with reckless codependency!

All the best, Mike

Jeff Bartley
05-10-2012, 6:25 PM
congrats on the purchase! fasten your seatbelt....you'll be picking up speed quickly sliding down this slope!

Dave Zellers
05-10-2012, 6:50 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope!

Come on down to the Neanderthal "Cave" and you can commiserate with plenty of other hand tool addicts who will gladly enable your new "problem" with reckless codependency!
I'm afraid to go there. ;) I can't afford to! :eek:

I was testing it out on some walnut end grain and finding it a bit hard to grip and control. Then my second finger instinctively slid into the hole in the middle and the situation reversed itself. That took about 45 seconds.

Harold Burrell
05-10-2012, 6:52 PM
I made an expensive mistake on Monday.

OK, good. Now that you admit your mistake, I will be happy to take it off your hands and free you from it's bondage.

Dave Zellers
05-10-2012, 6:56 PM
OK, good. Now that you admit your mistake, I will be happy to take it off your hands and free you from it's bondage.

I think I want to be buried with it. You never know...

Rod Sheridan
05-10-2012, 7:06 PM
That's funny Dave, you only have one LV plane.

The city I live in has 3 LV stores, I'm sunk!

Enjoy your plane, it's a very nice model.............Rod.

Harold Burrell
05-10-2012, 8:25 PM
I think I want to be buried with it. You never know...

Hmmm...let me know if you decide to do that. I will then be sure to visit your grave.

I'll bring flowers. ;)

glenn bradley
05-10-2012, 8:27 PM
One of my favorites.

Dave Zellers
05-10-2012, 8:35 PM
Hmmm...let me know if you decide to do that. I will then be sure to visit your grave.

I'll bring flowers. ;)
Daisies, please.:)

Rick Fisher
05-11-2012, 3:37 AM
I have the large LV shoulder plane and have to say, I use it quite a bit .. Really handy for sizing tenons.. Gotta be super sharp and you cant under-estimate how much material your removing.. it will undersize the tenon in a few passes. .

In the past few years I have gone from a power tool guy to mixed.. I use chisels and planes more than I ever thought I would.. The key is sharp.. A truly sharp plane or chisel is a joy to use.. its impressive each time you use it ..

I would build a storage cabinet before this addiction takes full hold... lol

Brett Clark
05-11-2012, 7:21 AM

I'll bring flowers. ;)

I'll bring the shovel.

Floyd Mah
05-11-2012, 1:59 PM
Dave, regarding your second post about repositioning your finger, I bought a small rebate plane from Harbor Freight in their "for sale" shelf. It was made in Asia of a nice dense wood. Had a sharp blade. It seemed nicely made, but I couldn't seem to grip it properly no matter how I repositioned my fingers. The blade and wedge kept trying to get in the way. It took me several tries, but I finally figured out that it was meant to be pulled instead of pushed. Reversing the plane in my hand caused all the parts that didn't fit seem to melt away. These small Asian planes are great performers once you figure out how to grip it. And they can be very inexpensive so there is a way of satisfying your new addiction without causing you to go to skid row and have to cut off your hair to get money.

Dave Zellers
05-11-2012, 6:17 PM
It took me several tries, but I finally figured out that it was meant to be pulled instead of pushed. Reversing the plane in my hand caused all the parts that didn't fit seem to melt away.
Very interesting! Thanks for posting that- I will keep an eye out as there is no question this purchase has opened a door for me.

I sharpened the iron today and was blown away by the results. I planed the shoulder on a cherry test tenon from the project I'm working on* and could not believe the result. A ribbon of cross grain so thin you could see through it, yet it was still connected. Then I planed with the grain on the face of a walnut scrap and the difference with the adjacent sanded surface was startling. You could see every open pore clearly defined and the wood shimmered. Now I understand scraping.

"have to cut off your hair to get money"

Unfortunately, I don't have any hair to sell. I'm wondering what I can get for my wife's jewelry... Or her hair.

Is there a support group for this?

*In the old shoot first and aim later method, everything was already glued up when I bought this. But there will be other shoulders.

glenn bradley
05-11-2012, 9:16 PM
Then my second finger instinctively slid into the hole in the middle and the situation reversed itself. That took about 45 seconds.

And you can drive with either hand ;-)

Tom Matthews
05-11-2012, 9:19 PM
I picked one of those up last year in the Black Friday sale. It was a "second", so I got a pretty significant discount. Looking at the plane, there was a tiny casting defect on the side of the body that I can imagine would have passed for first quality anywhere else.

My purchase was a result of an earlier purchase of one of their low angle block planes. Slippery slope indeed.

Larry Frank
05-11-2012, 9:23 PM
I love this plane. My hands have some arthritis and this plane with its little handle thing fits in your hand nicely and takes some of the pressure off of your fingers. It is at the top of my list for favorite tools.

Dave Zellers
05-11-2012, 9:43 PM
And you can drive with either hand ;-)
I see you are employing the 3rd finger in the middle hole technique, otherwise known as, the Ring Finger hold, or the I'm married to my Veritas shoulder plane hold.

I can relate. We're engaged.

Matt Mackinnon
05-12-2012, 4:18 AM
I sharpened the iron today and was blown away by the results. I planed the shoulder on a cherry test tenon from the project I'm working on* and could not believe the result. A ribbon of cross grain so thin you could see through it, yet it was still connected. Then I planed with the grain on the face of a walnut scrap and the difference with the adjacent sanded surface was startling. You could see every open pore clearly defined and the wood shimmered. Now I understand scraping.

I have both the large and medium shoulder plane, and they are a very handy tool for many jobs. I used the medium just a few days ago to help fit some hardwood flooring into my livingroom.

One thing to remember with the LV planes, the backs of the blades may look dull but are incredibly flat. you don't need to get them to a shine/mirror finish as it most probably is getting them less flat in the process. I have used David Charlsworth method with a thin ruler to remove just the burr at the end and it's scary how sharp the blades get.

Just wait until you try one of the LV bevel up bench planes. My favourite is the BevelUp smoother.

Matt