PDA

View Full Version : WOW... The power of a business card.

Tony Dentino
05-10-2012, 4:19 PM
I drove up to my Corian distributor to pick up a couple sheets of Gacier White and, for the heck of it, left my business card at the reception desk. I didn't even make it back home when the company called and asked if I would be willing to make their CNC routed Corian nameplates. I said YES!!!

Tony

Keith Outten
05-10-2012, 11:14 PM
NICE !!!

Congratulations Tony, don't forget to share some pictures of the nameplates when you get them done.

Tony Dentino
05-31-2012, 3:42 PM
The company sent me samples of what they need. Just a simple 8" X 2 1/4" Corian nameplate with rounded edges and V-carved text filled with white Corian adhesive. They are mounted with a strip of Velcro on the back. Initial quantity is 8 with repeats being onesy-twosey depending on turnover. They are suppplying the Corian but not the adhesive. I'm thinking of asking 20 buck each for them. Sound reasonable? Maybe it will generate more signage business from them.

Tony

Keith Outten
06-01-2012, 6:49 AM
Tony,

Twenty bucks each might be a good price depending on how much Dupont adhesive you have to use on each piece. The small tubes of adhesive are $9.50 each in my area, then factor in the time it takes to apply the adhesive, wait for it to cure and then sand the surface.

Jim Beachler
06-01-2012, 3:08 PM
Tony, congratulations on the order and contact. Before giving them a price, I would suggest you run a sample and track your time and expenses. This way you know if you are making a profit after paying your time. This may lead to more work but at the same time you don't want to lose money on the deal, because it may not lead to more work, just name plates.

Just don't want you to be spinning your wheels and not making any money. After all, that's why we do what we do.

Tony Dentino
06-04-2012, 5:35 PM
Thanks Jim... good advice

Tony Dentino
06-10-2012, 12:26 PM

Made eight of these at 20 bucks each. This was my first try at filling v-carvings with Crian adhesive. Had a problem with pinholes and had to apply adhesive twice. Found that spreading the adhesive with an artist's palette knife helped.

Tony

Scott Perry
06-10-2012, 6:39 PM
Looking good.....do these hang on a wall or sit on a desk?

Scott Shepherd
06-10-2012, 7:51 PM
Had a problem with pinholes and had to apply adhesive twice. Found that spreading the adhesive with an artist's palette knife helped.

Tony

That's a VERY common problem with it.

Tony Dentino
06-10-2012, 7:54 PM
To answer a previous post... they put Velcro on the back and I think hang them on a cubicle wall.