PDA

View Full Version : Texas Area- good supplier for 1/8" baltic birch?

nathan mcafee
05-10-2012, 2:18 PM
I have found some locally but am still in the $1.60 per square foot range. Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially if they are in the DFW area. I have been very pleasantly surprised with cutting 1/8" hardboard but would love the look of birch at a cheaper price.

Thanks

Joe Hillmann
05-10-2012, 2:27 PM
Have you tried going to a local lumber yard and asking if they can order it for you? That is what I have done and I can get a 5x5 sheet for $15 so that is about $0.60 a square foot. Although I just found out today that there is a mill that makes hard wood plywood 1/8 thick and it is $6-$9 for a 4x8 sheet I haven't stopped in yet so don't know the quality.

Mike Troncalli
05-10-2012, 2:35 PM
Have you tried Prime Hardwoods. I think they are off of Haskel st. in downtown Dallas

Mike Null
05-10-2012, 3:26 PM
Try Mike, he's a longtime Friend of the Creek.

http://www.displayideas.com/

Craig Matheny
05-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Have you tried going to a local lumber yard and asking if they can order it for you? That is what I have done and I can get a 5x5 sheet for $15 so that is about $0.60 a square foot. Although I just found out today that there is a mill that makes hard wood plywood 1/8 thick and it is $6-$9 for a 4x8 sheet I haven't stopped in yet so don't know the quality.

Joe that 4 x 8 most likely will be exterior glue or have some unknown species of wood in the center layer good luck.

Joe Hillmann
05-11-2012, 12:35 PM
All they had in stock was maple both sides sanded the face side is strips so it looks like boards glued up and the back side is rotary cut so it looks like one solid sheet. It is marked as 1/8 but it is actually .100. I am not sure what the middle layer is made of.

It is the best cutting wood I have found yet. I cut one piece in 70 or so 5"x7" sheets and then further cut each piece with the laser. I haven't found a single void in it and it also doesn't smoke nearly as much at the birch I was using. It also seems to be very uniform I can run the laser at a higher speed then I could with the birch without ending up with small areas that didn't cut.

If anyone is interested the mill that makes it is Birchwood's Best

Michael Kowalczyk
05-11-2012, 4:40 PM
Thanks Mike I just sent him a PM.