PDA

View Full Version : was told my laser is not grounded right

Gary McPherson
05-10-2012, 11:11 AM
I have a shennhui laser 50 watt and the LCD screen is not working properly. I replaced the LCD screen the Laser is engraving very light . the tech suport said the my ground must be wrong. I grounded it with my house ground. I use the tranformer they sent to power it should it the tranformer be grouned? The LCD screen flashes. I have a electirtion coming by to check the ground.
:confused:

Dan Hintz
05-12-2012, 10:43 AM
Ground the transformer and the machine to the same point.

Rodne Gold
05-12-2012, 10:58 AM
See if the grounding bolt is making good contact with the chassis , Use a copper rod driven into the ground and ground the machine chassis and and all other grounds you see going to the the chassis to the rod. Ox wagon style but if your issue is a ground problem (and it sounds like it is ) it will cure it good and solid.

George Carlson
05-12-2012, 9:29 PM
Get the electrician to check the voltage supplied to your machine. It could be low, or at the supply voltage (120VAC). Those transformers are not very good. They are really an auto-transformer, so paying attention to the AC Neutral is important. It's much better to run a dedicated 240VAC outlet fot your laser and associated equipment.
I doubt if it is the ground. This is the stock answer from a tech who has no idea of what is happening.

Rodne Gold
05-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Oddly enough , the stock answer is often right , the one machine we got that played up in much the same manner , would fire and then reboot , lcd screen intermittent/freezing ,fired at will etc, All misbehaviour stopped once we did the copper rod grounding ... sometimes the people that built the machine actually know what they are talking about..

One other thing to check is any "joins" in the red wire that comes from your tube power supply to the laser tube , check the joins , we found a less than perfect join in this HT wire which also led to issues.

Gary McPherson
05-19-2012, 10:01 PM
We had to bypass the water safety switch and hook the hose straight to laser tube to get a good ground.

Rich Harman
05-19-2012, 10:21 PM
That doesn't make sense.

Dan Hintz
05-20-2012, 7:01 PM
We had to bypass the water safety switch and hook the hose straight to laser tube to get a good ground.

Uhm... wha? What does the water connection have to do with electrical grounding?

George Carlson
05-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Sounds to me that the return (ground) side of the tube has a conection problem causing arcing. This arcing my have been finding a path up through the water connection, through the safety switch, then into the control electronics. Make sure the return side (usually small black wire) has a good connection directly to the power supply. If it is tied to frame ground, make sure the power supply is well grounded.

Rodne Gold
05-21-2012, 1:53 AM
The water switch is merely a flow meter that will send a low level signal to the motherboard to fire only when water flow from the chiller is sensed. It can be turned on/off in software. Should have nothing to do with grounding.

George Carlson
05-22-2012, 9:24 AM
The water switch is merely a flow meter that will send a low level signal to the motherboard to fire only when water flow from the chiller is sensed. It can be turned on/off in software. Should have nothing to do with grounding.

Right, but if the ground on the tube is bad (arcing), the HV may arc across the switch into the low level circuitry of the controller causing general chaos.

Dan Hintz
05-24-2012, 6:59 AM
Right, but if the ground on the tube is bad (arcing), the HV may arc across the switch into the low level circuitry of the controller causing general chaos.

There is no such thing as "ground" on glass tubes. There are two water ports and two HV connections. If your HV power is somehow making a connection to the water ports (via arcing), you have issues with the setup and/or a cracked tube.