PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Bruce Hoadley

Eric Holmquist
05-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Just got home from the monthly meeting of the Western Mass Woodturners. For this month, we retained the services of Dr. Hoadley who was a Professor of Wood Technology at UMass, and is the author of two great books on wood, "Identifying Wood" and "Understanding Wood". He gave a fascinating presentation on the properties and structure of wood from a macro level down to the cellular level. We really learned a lot.

If you can find a similarly knowledgeable professor at a nearby University, it might be well worth trying to get him/her to make a presentation at your local club.

Jim Burr
05-09-2012, 10:26 PM
I'd take it and run Eric!! We have a lot out here, Yosemite and Sequoia Natl Forest go back to back! CSUF, CSUB and CSUS all back up to the hills and the folks on the coast have their say too! Then you get the whole desert thing that has a great eco-structure unto it's own. I'd bet there are some great folks in the Cascades and Southern regions that would have knowledge not yet explored! It would be cool to hear what East and West have to say about timber science!

Cody Colston
05-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Just got home from the monthly meeting of the Western Mass Woodturners. For this month, we retained the services of Dr. Hoadley who was a Professor of Wood Technology at UMass, and is the author of two great books on wood, "Identifying Wood" and "Understanding Wood". He gave a fascinating presentation on the properties and structure of wood from a macro level down to the cellular level. We really learned a lot.

If you can find a similarly knowledgeable professor at a nearby University, it might be well worth trying to get him/her to make a presentation at your local club.

I think Hoadley's book "Understanding Wood" is a must reference for any serious woodworker. To excel in the medium of wood is to understand it's properties and Hoadley's book does an excellent job of explaining them.

I would love to have heard his presentation.

Steve Mawson
05-10-2012, 9:11 PM
Great Plains Woodturners had just that last month. Our resident state forester, Dr. Scott Josiah, is a member of our club. He had about 25 different species of wood that we were to identify. We formed 3 groups after his presentation of how to identify wood. Some were very easy and some very hard. All in all a great program for the club and a learning experience.

Ken Fitzgerald
05-10-2012, 9:26 PM
I think Hoadley's book "Understanding Wood" is a must reference for any serious woodworker. To excel in the medium of wood is to understand it's properties and Hoadley's book does an excellent job of explaining them.

I would love to have heard his presentation.

Ditto! His book was given to me by a friend and it's great resource!