PDA

View Full Version : Joinery refresher needed!

Chris Hedges
05-09-2012, 9:12 PM
For the life of me I cant remember the name of the joint to do a search on it. Thought it was a bird's mouth but its definitely not that. In any case, imagine 2 boards joined 90 degrees to each other, the vertical board sitting in a through dado and the leading edges shoved flush with each other. However, in this case, the front edge of the boards has a bullnose profile on it. You cant just cut the dado, bullnose the edges and shove them flush because it gives you a goofy profile. I know the proper way to do it involves using a vbit the complete a stopped dado and the same bit to create a v-profile on the end grain of the vertical board. For some reason I thought this could be done with one router but now that I think about it I realize it might be need to done with 2. Ive done this joint over 20 times in the past but its been 5 years or so. Any ideas?

Chris

Sam Murdoch
05-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Are you asking about a "jack miter"? Not sure I have the picture. :confused:

daniel lane
05-09-2012, 11:32 PM
I'm thinking I must have the picture wrong, too, because I'm thinking half-lap:

daniel

Chris Hedges
05-10-2012, 6:59 AM
Not a jack miter and not a half lap. Application would be installing dividers in a desk, ie pigeon holes in a secretary. Leading edge of board is profiled not the sides.

Chris

daniel lane
05-10-2012, 4:05 PM
Ah, I think I get it - it's still like a half-lap, but edgewise instead of facewise. Like the dividers in a cardboard wine box, no? Not sure what that's called, but as I envision your project, sounds like a roundover bit in a trim router with an extension baseplate that covers all faces of the opening (to keep it perpendicular to the edges) would get you started, followed by a vee bit and some chisel work at the intersections. Alternately, you could make it so the vertical dividers are slightly shallower than the horizontal ones, then you can do the roundover prior to assembly and there won't be an intersection to futz with. If you find out the name of the joint, be sure to post it, that's going to bug me!

daniel