PDA

View Full Version : Urn in Spalted Sweetgum...

Ted Calver
05-09-2012, 8:29 PM
...with a silver maple burl top. This is for Quazy, my sisters much loved and rather large dog. Roughly 10" tall by 7.5" wide. Finished with several coats of Waterlox. ABS threads. I really don't like the transition between the reddish colored sweetgum and the burl cap. I tried a little black transtint on the neck of the vessel and some red on the burl cap, but it didn't work out as well as I would have liked. Maybe a holly or black wood spacer would have helped. Next time. Thanks for looking. C&C welcome.

Pete Jordan
05-09-2012, 8:38 PM
Wonderful!!!

Roger Chandler
05-09-2012, 9:27 PM
Very nice, Ted! A most unusual piece of wood ..........gotta love the way you got the sap wood and the heartwood to show up in contrast...........a fitting memorial for a beloved dog.

Jim Burr
05-09-2012, 9:36 PM
Can't C&C since none was requested per forum regulations. Nice work over all Tim. Size is impressive! What was the wall thickness? Dog's are cool and deserve the best...He sure got it!

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2012, 10:36 PM
That turned out real nice! I like the burl cap - works for me!

Jeff Fagen
05-09-2012, 10:46 PM
I really like the wood and form ,I don't know about the cap.I have gotten into urns and am curious about figuring the volume.What did you come up with?

Steve Vaughan
05-09-2012, 11:09 PM
That's a really nice piece. And, I really love the neck and top! That will be a memorable piece all by itself, but now with it's intended purpose, it will be incredibly special!

Eric Gourieux
05-09-2012, 11:44 PM
What's not to like? The form and wood are beautiful. I have a question about ABS threads. Are they just the threaded ends cut from ABS pipe? Great job. Great finish

Sid Matheny
05-09-2012, 11:51 PM
The urn is just to good looking for the cap in MHO. I feel the cap subtracts from a wonderfully turned piece.

Sid

Doug W Swanson
05-09-2012, 11:52 PM
I think it looks nice! Great job!

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2012, 11:56 PM
That is a beauty Ted.

Rick Markham
05-10-2012, 4:24 AM
Spectacular! I love the burl cap!

Michelle Rich
05-10-2012, 6:31 AM
I agree..picture 4 shows a terrific vessel..the colors are wonderful. That cap may fit real well on something down the road..save it!

John Keeton
05-10-2012, 6:38 AM
Ted, very unique concept and I think it worked! Nice job on the urn, and the rustic top seems to compliment the coloration of the gum. Perhaps one could airbrush a black fade starting on the neck and carried all the way to the natural edge of the burl. The very top of the burl seems to work OK. You could probably still do that by using black tinted dewaxed shellac, followed by another couple coats of Waterlox should you want to go to that effort.

Deane Allinson
05-10-2012, 8:51 AM
Nice piece! Great form, great wood, great cap. I agree about the transition to the cap, the cap is very nice and the form is very nice (like again in pic 4) both are better apart from each other.
Deane

Ted Calver
05-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. The burl top is just going to have to do for this one as I promised no more delays in sending it out. I know the combination of something dark and earthy with a more sophisticated shape isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I like that concept for urn tops....for me it's a bit thought provoking. We are traditionally a burial society and death, although natural and inevitable, is in most cases not a very pretty thing. That bit of spiked burl is a reminder of the pain and at the same time a figurative representation of the earth under which the ashes reside. Perhaps a bit too deep thinking for a pet urn, but that's how the wheels turn:)

Jim...Wall thickness is a little less than half an inch.

Jeff...Common practice is to figure one cubic inch of volume per pound of body weight. I measure by filling the container with pinto beans. One cup equals about 14.4 cubic inches. This urn will hold 155 cubic inches.

Eric...The threads are from ABS plumbing connectors available at Lowe's and Home Depot.

Baxter Smith
05-10-2012, 1:25 PM
Nice work Ted! I like the look.

steven carter
05-10-2012, 1:50 PM
Very unique urn. I like it and I'll bet you sister will also. Very nice finish.

Rich Aldrich
05-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Nice work, nice wood, and I like the cap. It is interesting.