PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 inch v blade for Veritas router plane?

Zach England
05-09-2012, 4:58 PM
I have a 1/2 inch v ('spear point") blade, but isn't there a 1/4 inch v blade? I swear I used to have one, but Lee Valley does not show them on their website.

Chris Griggs
05-09-2012, 5:46 PM
I don't think there ever was one. I believe LN makes a small spear point blade for there router so maybe that's what your thinking of.

Andrae Covington
05-09-2012, 10:08 PM
I have a 1/2 inch v ('spear point") blade, but isn't there a 1/4 inch v blade? I swear I used to have one, but Lee Valley does not show them on their website.

Guess you could buy an extra 1/4" straight blade (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67484&cat=1,41182,43698,67484) and regrind it.

Zach England
05-10-2012, 10:28 AM
WHat are the chances the LN blade fits my Veritas plane?

Chris Griggs
05-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I would guess not good. The shafts on the LN blades are square. On the LV the are hexagonal.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-10-2012, 10:38 AM
The LN blades are square, with the flat face forward - even if it fits, it's going to be a bit odd, as the blade will always be facing 45 degrees of forward - but that might not be bad.

LN says their blades are 3/8" square. (The smaller blades are, I think 1/4" square shanks, but there's an adaptor.)

EDIT: Just checked my veritas plane - it looks like if you ground off the corners of the shanks to fit the chamfered corners of the veritas blade's shank, it'd probably work, but I have no idea about whether the depth adjuster slot would fit.)

Zach England
05-10-2012, 10:59 AM
The LN blades are square, with the flat face forward - even if it fits, it's going to be a bit odd, as the blade will always be facing 45 degrees of forward - but that might not be bad.

LN says their blades are 3/8" square. (The smaller blades are, I think 1/4" square shanks, but there's an adaptor.)

EDIT: Just checked my veritas plane - it looks like if you ground off the corners of the shanks to fit the chamfered corners of the veritas blade's shank, it'd probably work, but I have no idea about whether the depth adjuster slot would fit.)

If I am going to grind something I think it would be easier to grind the blade into a V.

I actually think it would be easier to give up and find another way to accomplish what I am shooting for, which is what I did.