PDA

View Full Version : How best to affix chops?

Rusty Quinn
05-09-2012, 3:08 PM
I want to use this old QR as an end vise. Assuming I need to drill through the outer jaw to insert wooden chops, do I need a special bit? Any recommendations on exact placement of holes?

Jim Ritter
05-09-2012, 7:42 PM
I've got the same situation. I was not going to make an oversized chop so I was going to start by trying some rare earth magnets to hold it, last resort would be drill the casting. Just a twist drill should do it.

Joe Fabbri
05-09-2012, 7:49 PM
Out of curiosity, I wonder if using liquid nails or another high strength type construction adhesive would work. I've clamped 2x4s to steel I-beams using liquid nails and it has worked well. I'm not sure how the clamping pressure would effect it. But who knows, it might be a good application here if you don't want to drill holes in the vise.

Joe

Jerry Thompson
05-09-2012, 7:53 PM
Magnents work great. I just used a Forstner bit and dropped a dab of hide glue in. They stay put in the vise.

george wilson
05-09-2012, 9:36 PM
Nearly all iron wood vises have countersunk holes through their jaws to allow screwing the wooden chops in. I suppose you could glue them in with Liquid Nails,and pop them loose when they get buggered up too much. Not the way I'd do it. I'd drill holes.

Joe Fabbri
05-09-2012, 9:58 PM
Not the way I'd do it probably either, George, haha.

But, I figured I'd suggest it as another possible means of attaching them.

Joe

Pat Barry
05-09-2012, 10:10 PM
I guess I'll suggest the simple approach of using double sided tape (carpet tape for example). It can be popped loose as George suggests relatively easily if need be. Just a thought.

James Taglienti
05-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Ive got contact adhesive on mine

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-10-2012, 12:07 AM
I'm assuming this is cast iron - would it hold up to being drilled and tapped from the inside, and then having countersunk machine screws holding the chop on? Assuming you wanted a "clean" look from the outside, I guess? I have no idea if that would be a good or bad idea.