PDA

View Full Version : I have been wanting one of these!

Roger Chandler
05-09-2012, 2:02 PM
Just continuing to add to my turning arsenal.........I am not one of those that is just waiting for the next magic tool in my hands.........in this case, even though I have a vacuum system, I find that there are some forms not suited to the vacuum heads that I have, and I have gotten pretty good results using a long jam chuck for some hollow forms.........this is what the Rubber Chucky "reverse chucky" essentially is......with one big advantage.....the big cone will allow for centering not only on the bottom but also the top and the rubber foot and cone will serve as a non marring drive mechanism.........I have purpose for the tools that I purchase!

I also got the six inch extension with it for deeper forms. I will post a review whenever I can find the time to use it on another hf.

John Keeton
05-09-2012, 2:46 PM
Roger, I made one of these with a wood cone, and while I have not had the occasion to use it recently, it sure can come in handy!

Harvey M. Taylor
05-09-2012, 3:31 PM
ditto to what John said. I have bought the rod and plan to make/turn the rest of it, and put the rest of the 68 bucks to better use. Max

charlie knighton
05-09-2012, 3:56 PM
Roger, try to put a used piece of sand paper under the lower rubber piece, hard to get black rubber marks out

Jamie Donaldson
05-09-2012, 4:05 PM
I'm struggling to remember the name of the guy who invented this original design, which I have stored somewhere in my tool collection. I believe I used it a few times, and the small black rubber foot on the end was useless.

Richard Allen
05-09-2012, 4:27 PM
I believe it was called a kirsten cone. He is a member of a souther California club and had these made to sell to club members. They became popular and he ended up selling them to lots of folks. Last I hear he liquidated his stock to a Washington DC club.

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2012, 5:01 PM
Sounds interesting.... looking forward to your review!

Roger Chandler
05-09-2012, 6:59 PM
the small black rubber foot on the end was useless.

I don't know if it makes any difference........the polymer foot on this is blue....I think it is a few steps above a rubber foot.........we shall see..........hopefully it won't leave marks and ....

"try to put a used piece of sand paper under the lower rubber piece" .........Thanks Charlie! sounds like it would work, just in case?!

I saw a post from David Keller on his hf improvement..........not sure which forum, but he said his improvement was directly related to the reverse chucky he got..........have heard others mention it over time as well............I have been looking at this for about a year.........finally decided to pull the trigger...........not an impulse thing............thought about the concept a lot and also used a long jam chuck a few times............this should work well, in my opinion

James Combs
05-09-2012, 8:44 PM
Cool looking device Roger. Just so that I know it works like I think it does(hadn't seen or heard of one before this), is that an MT2 taper on the right side? If it is I understand how it works. Looks like it would be a cinch to make using some larger all-thread and adding something to the end of it to screw onto your spindle(versus the MT2). Might have to do some creative work and make myself one. Would work great for waste wood vessels.

Roger Chandler
05-09-2012, 9:00 PM
Cool looking device Roger. Just so that I know it works like I think it does(hadn't seen or heard of one before this), is that an MT2 taper on the right side? If it is I understand how it works. Looks like it would be a cinch to make using some larger all-thread and adding something to the end of it to screw onto your spindle(versus the MT2). Might have to do some creative work and make myself one. Would work great for waste wood vessels.

James, you are correct........it is a morse taper 2 and it uses a nut inserted into the blue cone..........and the nut pictured on the shaft snugs up against it to make a lock tight fit, once you put the cone end into the opening of the hollow form.....the directions said not to snug it too tight against the opening of the hf............I guess it could put stress on the form and split it, but just enough to secure the form on the reverse chucky here.........

That should center everything well and make the piece run true for final shaping, sanding and finishing even, not to mention taking off the tenon and finishing the bottoms............

Good luck JD......show us a pic when finished!

Jamie Donaldson
05-09-2012, 9:15 PM
231753That's it Richard, and he sold many to our old Stubby Group members, including me, and here is an original. I don't believe I have used it more than 5 times, but the idea is sound.

Roger Chandler
05-10-2012, 6:44 AM
231753That's it Richard, and he sold many to our old Stubby Group members, including me, and here is an original. I don't believe I have used it more than 5 times, but the idea is sound.

I can see the similarities between the original version and the reverse chucky........I could see how that small rubber foot would leave a mark...........the one I purchased has 3 different size feet that came with it and all are much larger than the one in your pic, Jamie, and they are of a composite polymer and rubber compound..........made to allow as a drive center so to speak..............they are also supposed to be non-marring.

Bob Rotche
05-10-2012, 7:22 AM
Looking forward to your review, Roger. I am very close to pulling the trigger on one of these too.

David DeCristoforo
05-10-2012, 1:03 PM
When I told my wife I wanted a rubber chucky she looked at me kinda funny....

Baxter Smith
05-10-2012, 1:20 PM
Looks good and you will find it useful Roger. On a homemade one, I stuck a piece of sticky backed velcro on the end that goes into the bottom of the form. A small piece of sanding disc does a little extra sanding if something slips.

Roger Chandler
05-10-2012, 3:36 PM
When I told my wife I wanted a rubber chucky she looked at me kinda funny....

"Rubber chucky you're the one........rubber chucky, lets have some fun" .........:D:D:D:rolleyes: ........sorry guys........I couldn't resist! :D

If Jamie Donaldson sees this post, he won't be able to get that little song out of his head for days! :eek:

Jamie Donaldson
05-10-2012, 7:41 PM
I guess I'm not warped enough Roger, because I don't know that song?:p;)

Roger Chandler
05-10-2012, 7:45 PM
I guess I'm not warped enough Roger, because I don't know that song?:p;)

You are missing one of the all time children's hits...........oh well, I guess I can always go back to "the worms crawl in the worms crawl out" ...........:p:D:D You seemed to remember that one a few months back! ;)

Jamie Donaldson
05-10-2012, 7:51 PM
That one I remember!! My wife and I decided early in our marriage that the best way to have kids and pets was to rent them, so we could send them back home!

Roger Chandler
05-10-2012, 7:52 PM
That one I remember!! My wife and I decided early in our marriage that the best way to have kids and pets was to adopt, so we could send them back home!

Touche'! ;):)

Jamie Donaldson
05-10-2012, 8:12 PM
Oooppss, I meant to say "rent" kids and pets Roger!

Dave Mueller
05-10-2012, 9:36 PM
Here is my home made version, done on my wood lathe (except for the axial holes) for about $7. I made it about a month ago and have used it three times since then. It seems that if it is available I use it more. I have a Vicmarc small chuck with tower jaws, so I don't need a MT2 on the end, just chuck it up.

It consists of a 1/2" shaft (however long you need - mine is 12") with a hole drilled axially in one end to accept a 2" velcro sanding disk holder (I need to get a 1" disk holder for those smaller openings) and has a radial hole tapped for a 4-40 set screw to secure the sanding disk holder. The other part is a 1" rod approximately 2" long - 1/2" of which is epoxied into the end of the mesquite taper plug, which is covered in suede to help provide drive friction . The 1/2" hole was drilled down the center of the 1" shaft on the wood lathe. You will get a much cleaner hole if you first make a starting hole with a center bit so the twist bit doesn't wander and then drill with a 3/8" bit and finally clean up with the 1/2" bit. As on the 1/2" shaft, there is a radial hole tapped for 4-40 to lock the 1" rod on the 1/2" shaft.

Works like a jewel - I love it!

Roger Chandler
05-10-2012, 9:43 PM
Nice fabrication Dave...........no reason why that would not work well. Thanks for sharing!

Dave Mueller
05-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks, Roger. Not as nice or as flexible as yours, so am anxious to hear how yours works. I discovered that I get as much drive from the cone as from the tip, and do so by pressing the tail stock up tight first and then slide the cone firmly into place - have not experienced any slippage that way. Good luck with yours.

Rick Markham
05-11-2012, 5:44 AM
Roger, I bought one of these about 6 months ago. I LOVE the thing. SERIOUSLY one of the coolest tools. The blue rubber is more of a silicone, and It won't mar anything. You can even put a finished piece on without worry of ruining the finish. (I've done it several times) It's a fantastic device. When it's new it's a dickens to get the thing to go up and down, (I clamp mine in my bench to make it easier, I also used a squirt of the wax lubicant for bike chains) It's broken in nicely, and no moves easily. I also bought the accesory cones in various sizes and different sized nubs. True both up before you use them ;) It's a super great tool, it is the only way I turn the bottom on hollowforms now.

David, don't let the wife deter you! Worth every penny IMHO

Roger Chandler
05-11-2012, 9:27 AM
When it's new it's a dickens to get the thing to go up and down, (I clamp mine in my bench to make it easier, I also used a squirt of the wax lubicant for bike chains) It's broken in nicely, and no moves easily. I also bought the accesory cones in various sizes and different sized nubs. True both up before you use them ;) It's a super great tool, it is the only way I turn the bottom on hollowforms now.

Rick, I just stuck mine in the spindle and turned the lathe on slow rpm and allowed the lathe to assist.........no vice needed!

when truing up............did you just true up the bottom foot or did you also do the cone? I know the instruction sheet mentioned truing up, but I was not sure if it just meant the foot or not?

Roger Chandler
05-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Well, I took a few minutes a bit ago to take that reverse chucky thingy out to the shop and I decided to true it up........funny thing..........mine was almost dead true........I did not have any truing to do on the cone.........only a very slight truing on the face of the foot and knocked off a little bit of a casting lip on the very bottom edge of the foot.....of course it has two additional sized feet for this...........when I decide I need to utilize one of them, perhaps they might need a touch up as well........we shall see.

The machining on the morse taper and the threaded rod are of very high quality, and the thing runs true...........one has to appreciate quality in things they purchase...........I have to hand it to Don Doyle and his staff at Rubber Chucky Products, LLC for a quality product........I look forward to when I can do my next hollow form and utilize this thing!

Bernie Weishapl
05-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Lets us know what you think and what your observations are when you use it Roger.

Roger Chandler
05-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Lets us know what you think and what your observations are when you use it Roger.

Will do, Bernie.........that is the plan. When we turners find something that really works well for us, then it helps others to know what to avoid and what is beneficial..........my posting about this was not to gloat at all, but to help others out when I get to use it, by doing a review.........and to post my initial impressions.......which are good on this product.

For example, your mention of the General Finishes -woodturners finish, was a big help to me, and I see a number of others using it as well..........that has cut my finishing time to a third or less of what it was.......we all help one another with our reviews!