PDA

View Full Version : Delta Unisaw 36-844-L On the Way

George Troy Hurlburt
04-29-2003, 10:13 AM
This is a saw gloat & more. I do mostly segmented turning and have been using my Delta Contractors Saw for 15 years. It works fine but I kick my self for not getting the Uni to start with. My son-in-law will get my old saw and he can pass it on to his son. At 66 I expect this will be my last saw and then my 2 kids can fight over it. I have used a friend's Delta Unisaw several times. I got slobbers all over it. I have a nice shop with 220-40 so why not make it more complete; to go with my high dollars lathes. I was also movitated more so when I used a Jet cabinet saw this weekend. I was giving a demo on a Jet the company had sold their Delta Unisaw.There was a big stop switch that looked like a stop sign on the Jet. My knee hit that 3 times in the process of making a cut. I was ready to take a hammer to it. The next thing that happen was the Xacta fence slid while making a cut. I don't like curves. I also did not like the ramp twist of the thin kerf saw blade on start up. The whole thing was a ordeal from an experienced user (40 Years +) Of course of this is all just my opinion. I try to avoid China-Tawain copies any way. Trying to save some dollars is just not worth it. You can see my old saw on my segmented web site. georgetroygraphics. Thanks for reading - GTH

Bruce Page
04-29-2003, 8:10 PM
George,
You will love the Unisaw. I also went the contractor saw route; I think most of us do. I’ve had my Unisaw for about four years now and smile every time I hit the green button. I sometimes think about the things that I have built over the years and how much easier it would’ve been on the Uni.

As a matter of principle, I never attend the first annual anything. -- George Carlin

Jim Becker
04-29-2003, 9:10 PM
Originally posted by George Troy Hurlburt
There was a big stop switch that looked like a stop sign on the Jet. My knee hit that 3 times in the process of making a cut. I was ready to take a hammer to it. The next thing that happen was the Xacta fence slid while making a cut.

I agree that the "big stop switch" is not something that I would want.

But on the latter point about the fence...a properly adjusted fence on any saw will not move. It's not the fence "brand", it's the maintenance of the machine that got you there!

You'll really love having that cabinet saw in your shop. Use it well and safely!

Ross Sutton
05-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Did you get the right or left tilt? and why? I'm trying to decide which I need and would appreciate any advice.

Ross:p

Bruce Page
05-01-2003, 1:11 PM
Ross,
I don’t think it matters all that much. Some people like right tilt and some like left tilt. When I bought my Unisaw, I went with the right tilt because that was what I was used to.

The nice thing about being a celebrity is that when you bore people, they think it's their fault. -- Henry Kissinger

Jimmy Tallent
05-01-2003, 4:01 PM
TIME TO CELEBRATE!!!!