PDA

View Full Version : out of square P-C saw

Bob Glenn
05-09-2012, 1:13 PM
I'm usually over on the Neander side, but I DO have a few power tools. I was using a framing square as a saw guide for cross cutting stock and couldn't figure out why the cut wasn't square as measured with the same square I just used to make the cut. The cut was about 1/16 off over twelve inches.

I have had this problem with a cheap B-D circular saw with a die cut and pressed metal bed, but thought that was behind me when I purchased a P-C saw with a cast bed. Definitely a better saw, but still getting an off square cut with the framing square.

I finally figured it out this morning. Unplugged the saw, turned it upside down and measured the distance from the bedding edge at the front and rear of the blade. Guess what? A thirty second of an inch off over about seven inches. Well, l've spent about an hour with a mill file and machinist square and straight edge, and I've now got a saw that will cut square.

Anyone else had similar experiences. I was kind of surprised to find this problem with P-C.

Jerome Hanby
05-09-2012, 1:21 PM
I guess it depends on how old the PC is. If it is fairly new, I wouldn't be surprised at all...

Bob Glenn
05-09-2012, 1:32 PM
Yeah, fairly new, two or three years old.

Robert Sobkow Jr
05-09-2012, 2:11 PM
If the cut I was attempting to make was so critical that we're splitting 32's of an inch, I certainly would not use a portable circular saw , even a PC of which I have two. That is a job for a well-tuned radial arm saw.

-Rob

Brian Kincaid
05-09-2012, 2:51 PM
If the cut I was attempting to make was so critical that we're splitting 32's of an inch, I certainly would not use a portable circular saw , even a PC of which I have two. That is a job for a well-tuned radial arm saw.
-Rob

Rob, I see your logic, but why not have a well tuned circular saw? The tool is capable unless it has very poor 'runout'. I think the time spent tuning the base was time well spent.
-Brian

Luther Oswalt
05-09-2012, 3:00 PM
I guess you made sure the Square was "Square" before you started to file away at the PC.
Leo

Bob Glenn
05-09-2012, 4:42 PM
[QUOTE=Robert Sobkow Jr;1924803]If the cut I was attempting to make was so critical that we're splitting 32's of an inch, I certainly would not use a portable circular saw , even a PC of which I have two. That is a job for a well-tuned radial arm saw.

-Rob[/QUOTE

I wish I had one. I barely have enough room in my little shop to turn around and usually have to move three things and pick up two the fell over when ever I get something in there. I also do most of my work outside on a picnic table. Thanks for the reply. I'll soldier on.