PDA

View Full Version : having a blonde moment today

Cindy Rhoades
05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
I am needing to vector cut text on masking material and then go back and raster so I can color fill but I have a complete brain block on how to go about it. I am doing a couple of bricks for a memorial garden but I have to do them with my laser for now until I can get my sand carving unit ordered. Or should I just go ahead and raster the mask material also? And yes I am blonde so I can say that.

Richard Rumancik
05-09-2012, 11:23 AM
You should probably create 2 layers (Outline and Raster for example). First copy the text so it appears on both layers in same location.

For "Outline" layer -select text, convert to curves, no fill, .001" outline or smaller, use red, blue or whatever color.
For "Raster layer" - convert to curves, black fill, no outline.

Keep a copy of the original text somewhere (as text) perhaps on a hidden layer.

No idea how the lasering itself will work as I have never done brick.

Mike Null
05-09-2012, 12:34 PM
I raster the mask material. No need to vector it as it just takes extra time and doesn't produce a visible result.

Save the file so you can use it when you get your sand carving outfit. Even then I would raster only. Keep in mind that a vector only will necessitate weeding--not especially desirable on a brick surface as you can pull away the mask.

Cindy Rhoades
05-09-2012, 1:27 PM
Thanks Richard and Mike. I just needed the reminder on how to do this. Mike how thick of mask do you raster through?

Martin Boekers
05-09-2012, 1:30 PM
I too am blond, as I get older I am losing some hair.....so does that mean I am getting smarter? :)

Cindy Rhoades
05-09-2012, 1:43 PM
Of course it does, let weight on the brain

I too am blond, as I get older I am losing some hair.....so does that mean I am getting smarter? :)

Mike Null
05-09-2012, 2:31 PM
I usually use something about 5 to 7 mils. (I actually use sign vinyl since I am doing so little of it--but i have a vinyl cutter for larger jobs.)