PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a web cam

John Coloccia
05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm toying with the idea of setting a web cam in my workshop. I like that family would be able to check in and see what John's up to. Maybe others would be interested in a Johncam too, so they can kill a few minutes watching me fumble around all day.

What's the best way to do this. I have several websites that are hosted by a provider. I don't think I want to go the route of setting up a server here, nor do I think I could handle any significant outgoing bandwidth.

What's the best way to setup a video feed like that?

Zach England
05-09-2012, 12:12 PM
I used http://www.justin.tv/ for a while so I could keep an eye on my chickens while I was at work. It was easy and worked well for the need I had, which was admittedly pretty basic.

Ron Natalie
05-09-2012, 12:18 PM
I've got a couple of panasonic web cams that I used to keep an eye on the construction site while I was building my house. They just have their own built in web server, so you can connect to them with a regular browser. You don't need to go through any "hosting" site to use them.

Greg Portland
05-09-2012, 2:13 PM
Note that some security cameras are powered over the cat5e wiring (802.3Af = power-over-ethernet = PoE) and require a special router/switch. The benefit is that you're just running Cat5 to the device and not power + DC converter, etc.

Van Huskey
05-09-2012, 3:43 PM
No cam for me in the shop, my wife would soon realize how much time I spend "thinking" and how much time working, the result would be a longer honey do list.

John Coloccia
05-09-2012, 4:15 PM
I should clarify what I'm trying to do a bit beter. Ideally, I'd like to have a feed through my website.

Ron Natalie
05-09-2012, 4:27 PM
The panasonics have their own webserver. They have a wall wart for power and connect via WIFI to whatever network you have. If you have a static IP or dydns and can port forward on your router you can make the things visible on the greater internet.

Bill Cunningham
05-09-2012, 9:11 PM
ww.com will allow you to send a feed from your webcam and rebroadcast it to anyone that wants to look..
(yes, it has 'those' types of feeds too, but you have to select 'child safe' off to get them)
There are many factory and store cams feeding video to the network. Some are even interesting..

Mike Henderson
05-09-2012, 9:41 PM
I've got a couple of panasonic web cams that I used to keep an eye on the construction site while I was building my house. They just have their own built in web server, so you can connect to them with a regular browser. You don't need to go through any "hosting" site to use them.
I have a similar interest as John. What are those Panasonic web cams and how much do they cost? Can you provide a link to a place selling them?

I suppose they could be used as security cams, also.

Mike

Matt Meiser
05-09-2012, 9:58 PM
My answer was a CCTV system. Also let's me see the driveway, front porch, and if anyone has pulled back by my shop from a monitor I mounted out there. Still working on a driveway alert so I know to look. It's got a builtin web server but wouldn't work for public viewing the way you want.