PDA

View Full Version : Simplicity Candy Dish....Copied from DD.

Ed Morgano
05-09-2012, 10:35 AM
I've wanted to try one of these ever since I saw David's first piece a few weeks ago. David, I sincerely hope you will take this as a compliment. Yesterday, I finally got around to starting. I bought an air brush about 2 years ago and used it one time on some flat work. Today, I got it out to try blending the black with the blue. The dish is about 7" x 14" tall made from a BLM Burl. Base is Pecan and Finial is Holly. I still have some work on the finish but it's about done. C&C always welcome.

Roger Chandler
05-09-2012, 11:01 AM
That is a well turned piece, Ed.........shows off your skills in turning, and the coloration. Nice job blending the two woods together in the pedestal and top/finial. For a candy dish, one does need volume and the body of your form does that, and this is an unusual form..........I have not seen many of this configuration.

My personal tastes go to a form for a candy dish with no pedestal and perhaps a flatter bottom with a small foot for lift, and a shorter finial..........again my personal taste on form for a candy style dish.............

Again, this is very nice work from you as usual and shows an artistic creativity and good turning skills........good stuff!

Ed Morgano
05-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Roger,
Thanks for the compliments. I agree that this piece wouldn't make a very practical candy dish. Maybe it would work better to hold something that wasn't used very frequently.

David DeCristoforo
05-09-2012, 12:59 PM
When I cover the upper portion of this from, just down to the point where it meets the large flair, what I see is almost exactly what I was going for on my last attempt. You totally nailed that part! The curve into the stem is spot on and although I would like to see a bit more "stretch" at the thinnest area of the stem, the transition into the base is sweet. Green is not my favorite color but your fade into the black is excellent. I'm not totally sold on the upper part of the form.

I have thought about trying a lid on one of these but I'm still working on the "single line" idea. But, as is the case with much of what we make, personal taste plays a huge role in how an individual feels about a particular piece. One thing I really like is how the splash of burl in the top area of the lid is reflected by the burl figure in the base.

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Ed - this is really cool! Quite the unique form! Great job on the colors and finish! Seriously - very impressive work!

Steve Vaughan
05-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Ed, that's a neat piece. Interesting shape and colors. Such smooth curves, reminds me of something big and soft in the middle, and you're pulling it apart from both end. Really like this piece.

Bernie Weishapl
05-10-2012, 12:02 AM
Cool piece Ed. Love the coloring and the form.

John Keeton
05-10-2012, 6:49 AM
Ed, I like the bottom portion on this one, but something about the top just doesn't work for me - perhaps it is the lid juncture at the midpoint. I do like the overall concept, though, and while green isn't my favorite either, this seems to work well. Using blue on BLM is tough, as the yellow in the maple nearly always causes a green tint. I am getting ready to do a blue vase on maple, and I am tempted to bleach it first, but probably am too lazy to fool with it!