PDA

View Full Version : Grandma's Red Bud Tree Gloat

Jeff Fagen
05-08-2012, 9:34 PM
Well it was time to take down grandma's red bud tree.
It was rotten at the stump and had a length of ready rod through it where dad had worked to keep it alive for her.
She always marveled in the spring at the red blooms and even though they don't live long dad was always nursing it because he new how much grandma loved it.
I would guess it to be about 45 years old and you can see the diameter of the stump is amazing not to wonder whats in that burl.:D
Looks like everyone in the family is going to get a bowl or something out of it starting with a wedding gift for my niece.
The wood is very dense and heavy and green in color it should be fun to turn.

Tom Wilson66
05-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I have turned some redbud, and think it is a really good wood to turn. Will turn a nice chocolatey brown over time (mine did anyway). Hard to come by, since don't want to cut down while alive and lose the beautiful blooms in the sping. (the blossoms are pretty tasty, too) Mine came from a tree in my backyard that had a large sweetgum branch fall on it during a windstorm.

Robert Henrickson
05-09-2012, 6:58 AM
The redbud I've had experience with had tremendous tendency to crack. Good luck.

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2012, 7:47 AM
Jeff - glad you got the wood and will be able to preserve part of the family history! Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Dennis Ford
05-09-2012, 1:07 PM
My experience with Redbud is like Tom's; a good wood for turning.