PDA

View Full Version : First Hollow Form

Jeremy Leasure
05-08-2012, 5:03 PM
Well, finally buckled down and started trying to learn how to do this. Took an embarrasingly long time, and I couldn't get the bottom cleaned up before it got too thin for my courage. Couple small ridges toward the bottom on the sidewalls as well. Several catches during the process.

It's getting better but I still don't like hand hollowing. Anyway, any tips on tool use, form etc are appreciated. I was trying to get a "settled onto the surface it's resting on sort of like a water balloon" type thing but didn't really get there I don't think. I'm using the 5/8 Trent Bosch total access tools.

It's about 4.5" tall. I'm not even sure if this really qualifies for hollow form status.

http://i.imgur.com/8E5at.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RtdbH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/w1AVI.jpg

francesco dibari
05-08-2012, 7:34 PM
... nice work and nice finish .. :)

Baxter Smith
05-08-2012, 7:44 PM
Looks good to me Jeremy! Anyone you don't put a hole through can be considered a success when learning. At least I did! Hand hollowing will get easier with time. Using the tools on more open forms where you can see where the cutters is and what its doing may help until you develop a feel for it.

Roger Chandler
05-08-2012, 7:46 PM
That is a fine start on hollow forms, Jeremy. Usually, you will see most hollow forms with smaller openings, but with hand held tools you do find a lot of stress with the rotational forces and catches. I think this one is pretty nice for your first hf!

Eric Holmquist
05-08-2012, 8:22 PM
I never got anything this nice hand held hollowing, eventually gave up until I made my own articulated arm system. Nice form and finish.

paul vechart
05-08-2012, 8:42 PM
Jeremy, that is very good for your first HF...I would like to start doing Hf's too. What made you decide on the Trent Bosch tools versus others like John Jordan?

Thanks,

Paul

John Keeton
05-08-2012, 8:46 PM
Jeremy, looks pretty good from here! Like everything else, it gets easier with experience. That last shot took me a second until I remembered it was sitting on the log stump!!:D

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2012, 12:55 AM
Looks good Jeremy. It will get easier each one you do.

Dennis Ford
05-09-2012, 1:16 PM
Looks good to me. It does get easier with practice.

Jeremy Leasure
05-09-2012, 8:02 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to try and stick with it until I can get my hands on a captured system. Might post a classified and see if I get lucky.

Jeremy, that is very good for your first HF...I would like to start doing Hf's too. What made you decide on the Trent Bosch tools versus others like John Jordan?

Thanks,

Paul

Hey Paul. I had simply read several threads and comments complementing them specifically and how the design worked well. They are certainly well made and the only real limitations are my own experience.

Steve Schlumpf
05-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Jeremy - congrats on your first HF! Seriously - the form is not bad at all! Like anything else in turning... just start with the basics and get comfortable with the tools! Looking forward to seeing HF #2!