PDA

View Full Version : Beads on ash

Hayes Rutherford
05-08-2012, 4:06 PM
Here is this years contribution to our local Chamber of Commerce auction "People Helping People". I intended to turn the rim in a little more at the top but the photo proves me wrong. This tree blew over in front of Priest River's junior high school and I got the big trunk section. There were initially some complaints that I got the wood so each year I give a little back! C&C always welcome. Ash, 11" dia. shellac sanding sealer, bees wax / walnut oil finish.

Roger Chandler
05-08-2012, 4:11 PM
I think ash is one of the more attractive woods........something about the way the grain shows up on the light background makes me just like most things I see turned from it. This is a nice bowl Hayes.........good work on the beads.........most anyone would love to have that one in their home...........should do well for the charity!

Tim Rinehart
05-08-2012, 4:21 PM
Very nice. Always good to give back!

Jim Burr
05-08-2012, 5:38 PM
Could anyone do something as nice?! Good looking give back Hayes!

John Keeton
05-08-2012, 8:17 PM
Hayes, I have really enjoyed working ash in flatwork, but have turned very little of it. Good, clean ash makes a beautiful piece, and this is a prime example!

Baxter Smith
05-08-2012, 8:20 PM
Very pretty bowl Hayes. Turned my first ash bowls a couple of weeks ago and am hoping to finish some of the thin ones in another month or two and give them to my cousin I got the wood from. I had wanted to use walnut oil so could you elaborate a little more on your use of the shellac in the finishing process. Thanks!

Hayes Rutherford
05-08-2012, 9:24 PM
Thanks for the favorable comments. Jim, I think one of the guys that complained had flat work in mind for the wood, but usually urban trees grown out in the open with huge limbs don't make good boards. Best use is turning.!!

Baxter, since ash is fairly porous in between the hard grain lines, and the bowl was meant to be used, at the 180 or 240 grit stage I applied a coat of much thinned down blond shellac. Let it dry(probably used a hair dryer) then pretty much sand it all off leaving just what is in the pores. Lately I haven't been saturating pieces like this with the oil but have been applying a bees wax/oil mix. It's La Tourangelle Walnut Oil and wax from a bee keeper. Mixed about 6 to 1 in a hot water pot. This stuff smells sooooo good.

Bob Bergstrom
05-08-2012, 10:17 PM
We have dead ash in the Chicago area up to our ears. They are sawing them like they were tall grass. Very nice bowl and great bead work

David DeCristoforo
05-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Great looking bowl. I swear I'm gonna make one of those... one of these days...

Roger Chandler
05-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Great looking bowl. I swear I'm gonna make one of those... one of these days...

Talk, talk, talk...:D..........make sure to post when you "get-R-done" there DD! No, seriously....we all look forward to the artistry you can bring out in a bowl, David. Uh-ummmm, no pressure! :rolleyes:;)

Bernie Weishapl
05-09-2012, 12:45 AM
That is a beauty Hayes. Really like that ash.