PDA

View Full Version : Wood i.d.

Hayes Rutherford
05-08-2012, 3:54 PM
An arborist friend dropped off this and thought it was elm. It's not native to this area so I'm at a loss. Any body know?

Tim Rinehart
05-08-2012, 3:58 PM
Bark looks like cherry to me.

Roger Chandler
05-08-2012, 4:14 PM
the bark does remind of cherry, but the heartwood seems different from most cherry trees here in the east........it could be some type of cherry............but I agree with Tim about the appearance of the bark...........so, I dunno!

Hayes Rutherford
05-08-2012, 4:16 PM
Tim, cherry crossed my mind. It doesn't smell like fruit cherry, but it doesn't smell bad either. There are more trees growing near offices at a paper mill where this came from so maybe I can see them some time. Maybe choke cherry or ornamental? I roughed out some bowls and the sap wood is very white and the heart wood is more brown than I think cherry would be. There are some leaves budding out in the photo. Turns well.

Carl Civitella
05-08-2012, 4:36 PM
Yellow Birch

Hayes Rutherford
05-08-2012, 5:20 PM
Not familiar with yellow birch, here are some roughed out bowls about 10"

Roger Chandler
05-08-2012, 7:13 PM
Again, the wood does not look like cherry in these pics, especially the heart wood...........must be something unfamiliar to me............:confused:

Reed Gray
05-08-2012, 7:22 PM
I would guess Mountain Ash. Not really an ash tree, but similar bark, and the color is right, and the small branch just leafing out looks similar. They do get orange berries on them later in the year.

robo hippy

Hayes Rutherford
05-08-2012, 7:54 PM
Reed, after looking at the leaves again, Mountain Ash came to mind. The leaf pattern seems right and the smell as well. Although it grows all around here, it is usually skinny and twisted. This was cultivated so its large size had me fooled. Funny thing is I have it growing on my property. Thanks all that replied, case closed.

Bill Rogers
05-08-2012, 8:00 PM
Crush the leaves or scrape the bark. Do either of them smell like Wintergreen? If so, then you have Yellow Birch.