PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Oak Stair Treads

Randall Ground
05-08-2012, 1:02 PM
I have read most of the threads regarding this which has been very helpful but need a little more help, I am re-doing a half set of stairs which had 2 X 12 risers and treads, I would like to go back with 1" oak treads and risers:

1) The stair width is @ 42 " with 3 stringers, is this enough support for the 1" treads? I can add a 4th stringer for extra support but from reading forum that would be another possible source for creaking and another point to get level, another option is putting down 3/4 " plywood for treads and stringers and the putting on 1" oak.

2) My plan was to raise 1st stringer 3/4" to compensate for 1st step height, the last step leads to a landing which would be 3/4" higher than other steps (required to matched 2nd floor level), will this be a noticeable problem?

3) I do not have access to behind stairs (between 2 walls), my plan was to put in risers first then treads which I think would eliminate using pocket screws for the treads (no access to install from underside), would trim screws on outside stringers with sub floor adhesive and just sub floor adhesive on other middle stringer / stringers suffice?

Hope this makes some sense, any info would be appreciated,

Thanks, RG

Dave Zellers
05-08-2012, 1:44 PM
If the risers are all equal now, I certainly wouldn't change that. So that sounds like you would need 3/4" ply under the 3/4" oak.

If you really lock the treads and risers together, 3 stringers is fine. I would put a 5/16" rabbit on the back of the treads and match that into a dado at the bottom of the risers. Glue and screw from behind by reaching over the riser as you work your way up the stairs. Obviously, you can't screw the last one.

Make sure the front of the tread is supported all along the top of the riser.

Dan Friedrichs
05-08-2012, 1:48 PM
2) My plan was to raise 1st stringer 3/4" to compensate for 1st step height, the last step leads to a landing which would be 3/4" higher than other steps (required to matched 2nd floor level), will this be a noticeable problem?

Yes, and probably is not-code-compliant. Don't do this.

3) I do not have access to behind stairs (between 2 walls), my plan was to put in risers first then treads which I think would eliminate using pocket screws for the treads (no access to install from underside), would trim screws on outside stringers with sub floor adhesive and just sub floor adhesive on other middle stringer / stringers suffice?

I'd use plenty of sub floor adhesive, and face nail the treads. You can then fill the holes. Alternatively, screws through the face and plug the holes.

Dave Zellers
05-08-2012, 1:53 PM
I'd use plenty of sub floor adhesive, and face nail the treads. You can then fill the holes.
Agree- today's adhesives are so good 2 face nails in each stringer is all that is needed. I'd also nail down into the riser.