PDA

View Full Version : Planer/Molder Choices??

Jim VanBramer
03-31-2005, 1:01 PM
I'm looking at possibly purchasing a planer/molder sometime in the future. I, along with everyone and their brother, have heard of the Woodmaster products, but I'm not very familiar with what else is out there. Can anyone share their experiences with Woodmaster, along with any other manufacturers?

John M - I've gone searching in all the backyard sheds and old barns I could find, but so far all I've gotten is 3 bee stings, chased off by a li'l 'ol lady with a broom and run off by a farmer with a double barrel shotgun ... some people have all the luck! :rolleyes: :D

Thanks for your help.

Jim V

Jim Becker
03-31-2005, 1:05 PM
Jim...it might be helpful to clarify...are you looking for a multi-use machine or something that's a "darn good" molder? That will help folks with recommendations/comments.

Per Swenson
03-31-2005, 1:17 PM
Except for the dust collection issue, my woodmaster 18
is all that and more. The moldings, the bar rail, and all the
mahogany in this picture,http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=17615&highlight=shameless , went through a woodmaster from
rough cut. Of course the cabinets came off the shaper but
still its the best way to get there.
Not to sound like a comercial...but it paid for itself the first
job.
Per

Jim VanBramer
03-31-2005, 4:13 PM
Jim...it might be helpful to clarify...are you looking for a multi-use machine or something that's a "darn good" molder? That will help folks with recommendations/comments.

What I'm looking to use it for the most is moldings. I already have a Delta 22-580 planer which does a great job for me (so far!).

Thanks for the suggestion Jim!

Jeremy Bracey
03-31-2005, 5:40 PM
I have the Jet. Probably a little more time consuming (more passes) than the woodmaster, but you can buy one for around $850.

I like it. Ive made a few thousand feet of moulding. I wouldnt want to make a living with it, but its great for an occassional house worth of mouldig.

Richard Wolf
03-31-2005, 6:15 PM
The best molder is a Williams and Hussey but Shop Fox makes a good knock off for about half the price.

Richard

Steve Clardy
03-31-2005, 8:30 PM
Woodmaster 18" is a good one. I like the variable speed.

Joseph N. Myers
03-31-2005, 10:45 PM
Except for the dust collection issue, my woodmaster 18
is all that and more...........
Per

Per (and other WoodMaster owners),

Yes, the dust collection is a joke. I have 2 other planers (table top type) and no problems. One day took a good look at the WoodMaster and saw that is was wide open underneath the hood, hence the dust collector was sucking outside air inleau of the chips.

Got out the old dust tape and created a "fake" encloser. Got smart, for once, and put an additional piece of tape on the inside, glue side to glue side, so the dust/chips would not stick to it (the inside). SEE PICTURE!!!

Mentioned it to WoodMaster when I talked to them last and they said that it sounds like it would really help. Bottom line, works great, about as good as the other two. I'll plane for maybe 30 minutes and get say a coffee cup worth of chips.

Regards, Joe

Per Swenson
03-31-2005, 10:57 PM
Thank you Mr. Myers,
You know, it never crossed my mind.
Like so many other things, I just accepted it.
Will attend to this first thing in the morning.
By the way I also invested in the spherical
carbide cutting head. Cuts the time on the
machine in 1/2.
Per

Steve Clardy
04-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Good Idea Joe. I've been going to revamp mine, but no time.
Steve