PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Pete Jordan
05-08-2012, 9:04 AM
What is the best way to clean old finishes of of a lathe? I am getting ready to sell my Mustard and would like to clean it up for the new owner.

Thanks,

Pete

Steve Schlumpf
05-08-2012, 9:13 AM
Pete - my first attempt would be with a green scrub pad and mineral spirits. After that, then I would have to experiment with what I have on-hand for cleaners.

John Keeton
05-08-2012, 9:15 AM
Pete, I would imagine it is going to depend on what finishes are on the lathe. Shellac and lacquer will dissolve in their respective solvents - alcohol and lacquer thinner. But, the "cured" finishes - WOP, AO, Danish Oil, all contain varnish resins that will have polymerized and probably would only respond to a stripper. Of course, your nice Mustard paint will also respond!!!:eek:

J.D.Redwine
05-08-2012, 9:41 AM
I would use Citristrip and 4 ought steel wool.

Bernie Weishapl
05-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Pete I have to agree with John. The only finish I ever put on while still on the lathe is shellac and alcohol will take it off. If you have used other finish I agree that stripper may be the only way to get it off and it will also take of the mustard finish.

Jim Underwood
05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Just strip it and paint it white, blue, green, black or red. Anything but that ugly unmentionable color... :D