PDA

View Full Version : Accession number????

Bruce Dorworth
05-08-2012, 12:22 AM
I have started the process of ordering my new laser. I contacted my importer to make her aware of my plans. She said she would look to see if there are new regulations. Sure enough it seems that any laser related products coming into the USA must have an Accession number. I think this is something that is reasonably new. Has anyone else ran into this?

Edit: here is a web page I found after posting this. http://www.lasermet.com/fda-registration.php

Bruce

George Carlson
05-08-2012, 7:29 PM
Yes. Since a laser engraver is a source of radiation, it is controlled by the FDA. Each model must be type approved for safety by a testing agency certified by the FDA. This is much like the test required by the FCC for radio equipment. When the unit is tested, it receives an Accession Number, like an FCC approval number. You must be able to supply the FDA with FDA form 2877 "Declaration for imported electronic products subject to radiation control standards". There is a $35 processing fee charged by the FDA.
Contact the manufacturer of your laser, they should be able to give you the accession nuimber. If not, you could have big problems importing your machine.
I recently bought a machine from Redsail. They provided the accession number and a sample FDA 2877 form. So the FDA part was easy. In Long Beach, Customs flagged the container for X-ray, then flagged my crate for intense inspection. The total fees charged for importing (not including shipping) came to around $800.