PDA

View Full Version : Organizing/Labeling lenses

Eric Ucci
05-07-2012, 11:06 PM
Has anyone come up with a clever way to store/label their lenses? Perhaps there is some type of case available. I have about 5 lenses that came from Shenhui wrapped in tissue paper with the focal length written in ball point pen on the tissue paper. These little tissue wraps came wedged inside a chunk of foam. Other than the label on the paper, I don't think that i can tell one lens from another. I have also noticed that the coating on the lens is extremely delicate. I left one lens resting on the foam that it came packed in (assuming that it would be safe) and it damaged the lens coating. Any ideas for labeling and organizing these lenses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

Shenhui SH-1490 150w reci
Shenhui SH-690 60w

Rich Harman
05-07-2012, 11:45 PM
To tell the lenses apart hold them in such a way that an overhead light is focused onto a table top. Measure the distance. The actual focal length will be longer than measured.

40mm measures about 30mm
50mm measures about 40mm
65mm measures about 50 mm
100mm measures about 80mm

Rodne Gold
05-08-2012, 1:51 AM
You could most likely go to any jewellery store and get small ring boxes with inserts or cottonwool padding to use , or take a piece of 3/5mm acrylic , laser holes in it slightly bigger than the lens with the focal length engraved above each hole , glue it to another piece as a base and hey presto , you have a lens "holder". Make the hole big enough so you can remove the lens easily. The coatings don't seem THAT fragile , maybe acids in the tissue paper or stuff the foam outgasses is the issue.