PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit vs Rabbit?

Byron Trantham
03-31-2005, 12:54 PM
I need to create a very strong joint. I can be either a rabbit or butt joint with Biscuits. The joint is 90 degrees of course and the downward pressure will be considerable. With do glue at all, the biscuit wins hands down as it will support the bottom. I could do a dato joint but for aesthetic reasons I would rather not. I'm not a structural engineer but I believe one of these joints is better for my application. Opinions?

Jim Becker
03-31-2005, 1:06 PM
Dado/groove supports along the entire length of the joint when there is force involved. Using a stopped dado makes it "disapear" where it might compromise the look of the joint on the front of a cabinet, etc.

Byron Trantham
03-31-2005, 1:24 PM
Dado/groove supports along the entire length of the joint when there is force involved. Using a stopped dado makes it "disapear" where it might compromise the look of the joint on the front of a cabinet, etc.

Well there is yet another joint type I didn't think of. Very good Jim! ;)

Doug Shepard
03-31-2005, 1:40 PM
Biscuit vs Rabbit?
I'll take both - with gravy please, if that's not too much trouble.:D

What about a sliding dovetail?. Very strong even with no glue.

Ernie Hobbs
03-31-2005, 2:01 PM
what about good old fashioned mortise and tenon? This would be my vote.

Alan Tolchinsky
03-31-2005, 6:23 PM
blocks on the inside if the design allows. Or you can drill holes and use wooden dowels or brass dowels glued in with super glue ala David Marks.

Byron Trantham
03-31-2005, 6:46 PM
Thanks so much for your input. I opted to extend the height of the sides by 1/2" and cut datoes. Not the clean edge I was looking for but in this case structure is more important than form.

Mike Cutler
03-31-2005, 6:56 PM
Byron. How is the force being applied. Is it a downward force along the "edge" or the face?
I like Jim's idea a lot, but I would side with Ernie, not knowing any more. An M&T joint done properly is very strong. Of course Jim's idea is a derivation of an M&T.
Probably the most correct joint, that I can think of, would be a haunched tenon, if it is the joint that bears the force.
I don't mean to start a controversy here, but using a biscuit to create stength is a misnomer. The bisuit will add some shear strength, but alignment is it's strong point. My .02 fwiw