PDA

View Full Version : Drying End Grain Bowls

Olaf Vogel
05-07-2012, 9:57 PM
A nice friend dropped off a big load of black walnut. Many of the blanks are >20" in diameter, but unfortunately quite short (~ 10-12").
They had to carry the wood out of a back yard and wanted to keep the weight reasonable. Pretty heavy as is...

Seems like a waste to make a ton of small stuff, so I'm tempted to create some end grain bowls with it.

Once I get them cut, is there any special measures to drying them out?
My best success ratio so far it wrapping the fresh cut pieces in 2 paper bags and letting them very slowly dry out. But those were all side grain.

thanks

Jamie Donaldson
05-07-2012, 10:33 PM
This is a very risky design for walnut, but if turned thin enough, and dried slowly in a paper bag, you might pull it off. I would try 1 as a test before making any more, and definitely seal the ends of the pieces not turned PRONTO!

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2012, 11:25 PM
I agree with Jamie. I would do one and see how it turns out. You might be disappointed.

robert baccus
05-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Depends on how much room you have and your current reltions with the bride, but you can keep wood in water forever. way in the back i keep plastic-55 gal drums full of "good" wwod. i also agreed to build my bride a bueatiful 18-18 lilly pond. keeps a dozen os so log blanks nicely. i turn mostly wet wood, you may not. it's the only foolproff way to store wood longtime that I know. chech out the salvage wood guys and see what they are selling.------------old forester

Olaf Vogel
05-08-2012, 6:59 AM
OK , I'll give it a shot with one. I figured it had to be very thin.
And I'll seal them up as soon as it stops pouring rain.

I tried turning wood once that I pulled of the bottom of the lake, but it was a disaster. very pulpy. Not sure what kind it was.