PDA

View Full Version : Demo Practice - Lidded boxes

Roger Chandler
05-07-2012, 9:15 PM
I mentioned a couple of days ago that I have a demo to do on lidded boxes in July.........brought home some wood from our club to assist me. This is my first practice run.....although not from wood brought home from the club.

This walnut blank was actually given to me last year by fellow creeker Mike Cruz. Mike and Tony DeMasi dropped by for a test run of the monster hollowing rig..........Mike loaded me up with some of his painted walnut blanks and a few others I will get to when I can get some time to turn ...........thank you Mike!!!!

This lidded box is 4-5/8 wide and 4.25 tall....this is the first box I have turned using the expansion mode of the chuck, and I still have sanding and a final finish on the bottom.......the finish is still a little wet in the pics and has to be buffed as well.......you can see it cracked down the side...stress in the wood, I suppose, but I repaired it and it is good to go. Comments always welcome....

Steve Mawson
05-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Roger,
Nice finish on the inside which I think is important. Looks like the demo should go well. Can't go wrong with walnut.

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Really well done Roger. Nice fit and finish. Demo should go well for you.

Roger Chandler
05-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Thanks Steve!

John Keeton
05-08-2012, 5:15 AM
Good practice, Roger, and a good result! Plus, you got to practice a repair, too!;)

Roger Chandler
05-08-2012, 6:08 AM
Thanks Bernie, and thanks John.........you were up earlier than me this morning! Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

Roger Chandler
05-08-2012, 9:24 AM
I failed to mention that I am going to make several styles and sizes of boxes for showing at the demo........so the turners who are coming along can see some of the possibilities........there are a number of nice pieces of work some of the posters here on SMC have done............just want to let you know in advance.........I may take some inspiration from some of your work that you have shown along the way...........

I think that only one other turner and myself in our club are the only ones who frequent SMC..........gonna have to try and change that!