PDA

View Full Version : keeping it in the family

anthony wall
05-07-2012, 8:50 PM
i just read a thread about a man working with his son that got me thinking about my own son and work, when the time came for him to start work he wanted to join the police force but was not accepted as in that year there were only 12 vacancies with 26 applicants and 17 of them were children of serving officers he was extremely disapointed not to get in so told him not to worry if he didn't find anything that he wanted to do he could work with me i was secretly quite concerned when he said that he would as he has always been accident prone and working with anything sharp could have been disasterous for him .the first two years were a nightmare with the damage he managed to do in the workshop ,dropped tools ,broken tools ,dinged furniture ,even 3 broken chairs in one accident that were finished and ready to be delivered,luckily only minor cuts and scratches to himself ,then overnight it seems everything dropped in to place and his clumsiness disappeared he had come through with all his fingers still in place and turned into a very proficient woodworker which he still carried on after i retired .now his son is working with him so it turned out quite well

Jim Koepke
05-07-2012, 10:01 PM
It is great when a family member is interested in working at the family business.

I hope I am as lucky. It will save me from having to sell off all my stuff or explaining to my kids what it is so they get a decent value for everything.

jtk

Steven Green
05-08-2012, 1:58 AM
I've got three grandsons that have the disease. I'm to the point of paying two of them already. Looks to me like the oldest has it the worst. But I'm very happy that even one of them will know his way around a shop and how to respect tools. In fact instead of buying his girlfriend a birthday present he turned her a weed vase and a box out of Ambrosia maple. It's a nice way to finish a career.

Michael Weber
05-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Must be a very nice sense of well being having you kids take up after you. Congratulations. My wife's gonna have a big ole woodworking tool auction when I die.:rolleyes:

Don Jarvie
05-08-2012, 3:00 PM
If you don't mind me asking how did he take out 3 chairs at one time?

anthony wall
05-08-2012, 8:52 PM
hi don,he had loaded 6 chairs on to the truck for delivery but then whilst tying them on he hooked the rope onto the hitch ,threw it over the chairs then went round to fasten it off pulled the rope which obviously had come off the hitch pulling four chairs off the truck he managed to catch one but we had to make three new ones in double quick time as they were for a restaurant which was due to open in two days time.