PDA

View Full Version : Router plane blade storage

Gary Viggers
05-07-2012, 5:28 PM
How do you guys store your router plane blades? I recently bought an LV router plane and would like to keep the blades in something other than the plastic boxes they came in. It would be great to see some pictures of tool cabinet add-ons or dedicated boxes for the blades [and plane]. Speaking of router planes, any idea if LV will ever make a 3/8" blade?

Gary

Marko Milisavljevic
05-07-2012, 7:19 PM
What I am planning to do is to use the said router plane to route appropriate slots in a small board to hold the blades and fence, with a flat cover attached with hinges and a magnet to keep it shut. You would, of course, use the router plane to set hinges in.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-07-2012, 7:53 PM
Staffan posted this little box he made here a while back:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169216-Box-for-router-plane

I like the block with holes to accept the shanks of the blades. I was thinking of making something like that to put in against a toolchest or cabinet wall, but putting a small strip of wood over it to protect the blade edges, and then do some sort of hinged deal at the bottom of that block, so it tilts out to clear that protective strip a bit, and allow you to remove the blades. I'm sort of imagining something akin to how those steel drill bits boxes work, if that makes sense.

Bill Houghton
05-07-2012, 8:38 PM
Altoids tin.

Gary Viggers
05-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Staffan posted this little box he made here a while back:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?169216-Box-for-router-plane

Thanks for the link. That gives me some ideas.

jamie shard
05-09-2012, 9:25 AM
I made the cutest little blade holder... I'll post after work! :)

Jim Belair
05-09-2012, 10:37 AM
I bought a flat rectangular eyeglass case from the dollar store. Glued in a few bits of foam to keep the blades separated. Slides into a slot in my tool cabinet next to the router.

jamie shard
05-13-2012, 10:07 AM
I made the cutest little blade holder... I'll post after work! :)

Andrae Covington
05-13-2012, 12:47 PM
You guys are making me feel bad about still storing mine in the little plastic things they come in. Thanks for the ideas.