PDA

View Full Version : black cherry burl gloat

cal thelen
05-07-2012, 4:51 PM
friend of mine cut down a tree last week and dropped all of these off. all came out of the same tree. smallest is about 8 inches across and the biggest is around 14 inches across. sure wish i knew what i was doing as far as processing them. hopefully by the time i am done i will be a little better at it

charlie knighton
05-07-2012, 4:53 PM
enjoy.....

John Keeton
05-07-2012, 5:26 PM
...sure wish i knew what i was doing as far as processing them.Cal, you could have a LOT worse problems!!!:rolleyes: Congrats on the "dilemma" in which you find yourself!

Jim Burr
05-07-2012, 6:33 PM
If I was anywhere near Wisconsin...you and I'd be best friends!! Wait!!! My brother was born in Racine!! Now can I get some? Sweet haul Cal...you are going to be one busy guy!

Jamie Donaldson
05-07-2012, 7:59 PM
What a haul, and cherry burl is some of the prettiest, and hardest when dry, burl that you will ever turn. Some ring burls you can split down the middle to make 2 or 3 smaller natural edge bowls, or squatty hollow vessels, and the larger ones will make really nice large bowls and vessels. Just keep the rounded outside of the burls as close to the tops of the turnings as possible to show the figure of the burl to max advantage.

Rich Aldrich
05-07-2012, 8:09 PM
Nice burls. I have done a number of cherry burls - they seem quite prevelant compared to a lot of others in our area anyway. I make sure I soak them in DNA for 48 hours and dry for 4 weeks minimum. I havent lost one yet due to cracking. They are so beautiful when you get done with them.

brian watts
05-07-2012, 9:19 PM
a good problem to have for sure...

Roger Chandler
05-07-2012, 9:23 PM
Great haul! I know what I would do...........I would take the largest one and make a nice tall and wide as possible hollow form and hopefully capture the rays and make them pop with some BLO and shellac............then some glossy WOP........that ought to show well!

paul vechart
05-07-2012, 9:26 PM
Nice problem to have Cal...I live in Brillion WI just in case you need to find a home for some of those!!! Are you any where close to Brillion?

Kathy Marshall
05-08-2012, 1:48 AM
Now that's a nice problem to have! Nice gloat!

Jon Nuckles
05-08-2012, 10:34 AM
Can I be friends with your friend? He/she not only gives you burls, but cuts them and drops them off! Congratulations on your haul and for having such a generous friend.

brian watts
05-08-2012, 6:10 PM
Can I be friends with your friend? He/she not only gives you burls, but cuts them and drops them off! Congratulations on your haul and for having such a generous friend.

that what i was thinking WOW what a friend.. should be some good turning out of that.

Baxter Smith
05-08-2012, 8:12 PM
Great bunch of burls. I got a lot of them last spring and turned most of them as quickly as I could. Being very green, a lot of them developed some cracks in the sapwood. I wish I had saved about half of them and just let them sit for a couple of years to see if it would have made a difference. Your ends may have been cut off too close to the burls to try that.