PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Plough Plane

Jim Koepke
05-07-2012, 2:42 PM
If you have a spare five grand just burning a hole in your pocket.

From Patrick Leach's inner sanctum:

http://www.supertool.com/forsale/may/f2.jpg

jtk

Jeff Heath
05-07-2012, 4:24 PM
Yeah, I saw that at the top of this month's "list". Must be for the collector's, as I can't imagine needing or wanting to spend $5k (just shy) to cut drawer bottom dado's. My $60 special from 1853 will just have to do until I get around to making my own.....one of these days very soon!

Jeff

Jim Koepke
05-07-2012, 8:29 PM
My $60 special from 1853 will just have to do until I get around to making my own.....one of these days very soon!

My grooves would be cut with a chisel before spending that much to make it easier.

Just recently picked up a #50 that will work just as well as any of my #45s at the job. The only difficulty is finding blades. They are shorter than most of the blades in my accumulation. As long as I stay with the few short blades I have it will be fine.

jtk

Jeff Heath
05-07-2012, 8:39 PM
You're doing better than me. I only have 1 blade for my plow. It's the one I use the most......(sorry). At least it's 1/4". I'll be actively looking for more quality blades in the varying small sizes. Once I accumulate them, I'm going to make a new plow plane.

I've never owned a metal plow, so I can't comment on the 45's. Everytime I think about picking one up, I get reminded that they are little more than adequate for the job......at $150 a copy (at least that seems to be the constant price on the auction sites) I'll keep what I have.

I can think of an entire fleet of planes I'd rather buy with the $5000 cost of the plane you linked to, and still have plenty left over.

Jeff

Zach Dillinger
05-08-2012, 8:04 AM
Definitely a collectors-only type tool. If you're using a Morris patent plow for day-to-day work, you might need a team of Austrian experts to figure out what the heck is wrong with you... :)

Jerome Hanby
05-08-2012, 8:13 AM
I get lost looking at his list, items like this one catch my attention and I assume everything is priced on the same scale. Shot Patrick an email about a plane I was trying to buy off the bay and he got me back a price I would have been happy to pay if I won an auction, plus it has his stamp of approval!

Zach Dillinger
05-08-2012, 9:22 AM
Patrick is one of my three favorite tool sellers, although I can honestly say I've never dealt with a bad one (excepting online auctions). Knows what he has, knows what its worth and is more than willing to help set you up with what you need.

Derek Cohen
05-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Looking at the fence extension .. and you have a St Peter's Cross adjuster for the leg vise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

David Weaver
05-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Looking at the fence extension .. and you have a St Peter's Cross adjuster for the leg vise.

Regards from Perth

Derek

All it needs is a trick adapter that allows it to be plugged in as a functioning part of the bench vise when not in use.

Mel Miller
05-09-2012, 12:14 AM
If you have a spare five grand just burning a hole in your pocket.

From Patrick Leach's inner sanctum:

http://www.supertool.com/forsale/may/f2.jpg

jtk

5 grand is a little too optomistic for that Morris, and it isn't one of the better ones. They are a heavy plane with the scissor arms, and don't seem like they would be easy to use, but I never tried to use mine either.

Regarding #50 blades: If you have the earlier style without the cutter adjustment, just use common 45 blades. If they're a little too long it's easy to grind a little off the top end.

Mel

Jim Koepke
05-09-2012, 1:08 AM
Regarding #50 blades: If you have the earlier style without the cutter adjustment, just use common 45 blades. If they're a little too long it's easy to grind a little off the top end.

That is what I have done for a few blades. A few of my blades are from before the 45 blades had holes or slots. Most of them have been used to be short enough.

jtk