PDA

View Full Version : Gloat - Mustard Monster

Ian James Webster
05-07-2012, 12:02 PM
So I've been looking for a replacement for my aging Craftsman lathe (loving named 'The Paint Shaker' because it reminds me of the paint can shakers / mixers in the homecenters) for a long time.

I came across an advert on Craigs list last week for a Powermatic 3520A. Took a drive out on Sunday and came home with a new toy. It look sto be in great shape. The seller (a really nice guy) is moving to New Zealand in two weeks and just wanted to clear out his work shop. I came home with the lathe, 2 checks and assorted jaws, pen press, barrell trimmers and mandrels, a Oneway Wolverine grinding jig and a whole heap of Pear wood for $2,500.

Nor sure if that's a killer deal but I'm very happy.

Now I just need to beg a few frineds to come over and help me unlead.

Ken Glass
05-07-2012, 1:25 PM
Ian,
Welcome to the mustard monster club. That seems like a good deal to me, and the lathe looks to be in great condition too. I think the Powermatic 3520B is now over $3900 most places. Considering the chucks and other tools IMHO you made a great buy. Congrat's and well done.

Roger Chandler
05-07-2012, 1:29 PM
That is a 3520A.......has no digital readout..........but was made in America............a fine lathe! From the picture,it looks like it has not been used hard........the paint is intact and not all dirty with finish and CA glue...........you might have gotten a fairly lightly used machine.

Congratulations!!!

Ian James Webster
05-07-2012, 1:50 PM
Thank you both. It really is in good condition - well used but well looked after. We spun it up and all run true and so much quieter than my current lathe. It will be nice not to have to wear ear defenders while turning. I can live without the digital readout.

Ken Glass
05-07-2012, 1:52 PM
My mistake, Roger. I didn't look at it very well or read Ian's description either, apparently. Still a good deal though.

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-07-2012, 2:02 PM
Ian,
"You done good". The 3520, whether an A or B is a terrific machine. However, I hate seeing it under that stack of wood. I hope you post pictures once you get it out of the truck and into it's new home. Best of luck and welcome to the mustard club. By the way, if you are an AAW member, they have a link to a site devoted to our lathes. Tons of wonderful information. If you're not a member, join up.
Good luck.
faust

Sid Matheny
05-07-2012, 2:05 PM
Great gloat and if you find you want to know what RPM you are turning you can get a portable tach fairly cheap like this.

http://www.reliabilitydirectstore.com/Non-Contact-Tachometers-s/88.htm

Sid

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2012, 4:36 PM
Congrats on a great gloat. I think you got a deal.

charlie knighton
05-07-2012, 4:56 PM
good deal, enjoy your gloat

Steve Schlumpf
05-08-2012, 8:00 AM
Ian - Congrats on your 'new' lathe! I am sure you will love it! That is quite a step up from the Craftsman!! Great gloat - have fun!!

Jon Nuckles
05-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Congratulations and have fun. I have the 3520B and love it. I like having the digital readout, but could easily live without it. I generally choose my speed based on how things feel rather than looking at the readout.

Ian James Webster
05-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Well after a quick trip to Lowes last night to get a new plug (my wall socket was different) I got things fired up around 8:00pm. WOW - WOW - WOW. I expected an improvement but had no idea how much. Stable, smooth, quiet and much much easier to get a smooth finish. I couldn't be more pleased.

Bill Wyko
05-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the mustard club. More pics when you get everything set up please.

Baxter Smith
05-08-2012, 8:26 PM
Congrats on the lathe! I picked up a used A as well a couple of years ago and experienced about the same WOW!:)