PDA

View Full Version : Blood wood cane.

John Gregory
05-07-2012, 10:38 AM
My wife and I made this cane for her father. I milled the lumber, kept her tools sharp and applied the finish. My wife came up with the design, and turned the piece. The hardware was purchased from Lee Valley.
Thanks for looking.231533231534231532

Bill Brush
05-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Looks great! I hadn't considered making walking sticks, maybe I'll give that a try.

Ted Calver
05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Lovely work! I'm sure that will be appreciated.

John Gregory
05-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks Ted, We were not sure how he would react. It took him a long time to "give in" to getting hearing aids. His wife offered him her dad's old cane, but my FIL said that was an old man's cane :) But he was very excited for the one we made for him.

Lovely work! I'm sure that will be appreciated.

Mike Henderson
05-07-2012, 1:09 PM
Nice job. And useful, too.

Mike

Steve Beadle
05-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Very nice cane, John (and wife). Tell me, were you able to turn the entire length of the shaft as one piece, or did you have to make it in two pieces with a join somewhere in the middle? My lathe is not quite long enough to turn the required length in one piece, and so I find it a bit challenging to make the mortise and tenon so that they mate perfectly.

Steve

glenn bradley
05-09-2012, 2:13 PM
Well done. Team work.

ray hampton
05-09-2012, 2:38 PM
Very nice cane, John (and wife). Tell me, were you able to turn the entire length of the shaft as one piece, or did you have to make it in two pieces with a join somewhere in the middle? My lathe is not quite long enough to turn the required length in one piece, and so I find it a bit challenging to make the mortise and tenon so that they mate perfectly.

Steve

I hope that someone will figured a way to turn 2 or 3 pcs cane and drill the connecting holes perfect dead -center

that is a nice cane

John Gregory
05-09-2012, 4:49 PM
We did it in one length and one piece. For my FIL's height it needed to be 34" We did turn it to a bit longer then cut off the waste. Our lathe has 43" between centers.

Steve

John Gregory
05-09-2012, 4:50 PM
Lee Valley does sell connectors to make it a two piece cane.

I hope that someone will figured a way to turn 2 or 3 pcs cane and drill the connecting holes perfect dead -center

that is a nice cane

Mike Null
05-09-2012, 4:57 PM
I like it a lot. Another project for my list.