PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
05-07-2012, 10:04 AM
7 May 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
Had a hot weekend temp wise here and dry. Woke up this morning to the sound of thunder and windy. I started oncall duty again this morning, so we all know what I will be doing until next Monday morning.

I am working on getting some things done around the house so I can start getting my shop back into shape again. Seems like a lot of things come up to prevent me from getting in the shop and now since it's getting to be hot days, I'm seriously thinking about restricting my shop activity to nights or very early mornings only. I guess I'll figure that out as soon as I can get my shop back in order again. But family has a priority in my life and I feel that my season for woodworking is coming again soon. I appreciate your patience with me while I go through a hard season of my life.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.!

Matt Meiser
05-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Saturday a friend and I visited another friend's tool and die shop to raid there steel scrap bin and brought back a lot of nice stuff that was headed to the recyclers. Then I went with my wife and daughter to find the latter a dress for a performance she was in Saturday evening (they were the opening act for an event.) I then went and pulled our camper out of storage, flushed the water lines, cleaned up, removed our stuff from it, took pictures, and advertised it on Craigslist. We talked a little last fall about selling it and came to the conclusion over the winter that that was what we are going to do. We just can't find enough time to use it between LOML not being able to take time of early in the month due to month-end activities, my work travel often shooting 2 weekends at either end of a trip, family functions, and LOML jr's school and sports activities shooting spring and late summer/fall. Once that was finished I welded up a hitch for the back of the new zero turn to provide a place to pull if (when) I get it stuck.

Sunday I'd wanted to head up to a semi-annual flea market held nearby but LOML Jr. had a friend spend the night and it was getting late by the time her mom picked her up so I decided not to go. Good thing I didn't as we got a call on the camper. The people came buy, spent about 2 hours looking it over and talking to us about it, made us an offer we accepted, and left us a deposit. We finished taking some things out we are keeping and putting some stuff in we told them we'd leave (otherwise its stuff that we'd end up donating to Goodwill.) We did some stuff around the house, did our grocery shopping and then headed to my parents' for dinner and to visit with an uncle who's visiting them.

So, no woodworking again. I'm itching to get started on the bed I picked the lumber up for a couple weeks ago, but a laundry room remodel might come first. Most of the work there is wainscoting and new cabinets--very little other wall space to repair and paint and I'll hire out the flooring. We've got family visiting this upcoming weekend then I think I'm going to dive in on one or the other per LOML's priority.

David Hostetler
05-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Missed last weeks weekend accomplishments thread, couldn't find it, so catching up...

Last weekend...

Spent quality time with a chainsaw dropping the dead and most dangerous parts of 2 drought dead trees in my back yard. Memorial day weekend is coming, so it might be time to get a beach permit from the county, and load all that dead, dry wood, and a cooler into my truck and head for the beach for a bonfire that weekend...

My weekend this week just past started very early, Tuesday after work to be specific. My oldest brother got married in Oklahoma City on Friday, so my wife and i rented a car as our truck sucks too much gas, and our Saturn is far too uncomfortable to drive that far... and hit the road... I despise the car they rented me though. I was supposedly going to get a Ford Fusion, and instead got a Dodge Caliber... I don't hate Dodges per se, but this one has a lot of miles on it, feels like the transmission is slipping etc... Just a clunker.

This was an interesting visit for sure. The brother that got married was widowed a few years ago, and his late wife was unable to travel when my wife and I were dating / getting married, so this was the first time my wife met my brother. And we gained a couple of nieces in the process as she is a widow that has 2 kids... So huge changes in the family landscape, for the better I think...

We did get to visit with one of my wife's old friends while we were up in OKC. One of the gals she knew in college. Nice enough girl with lousy luck in relationships. Thankfully she didn't spend much time on that subject!

While in OKC we got to have dinner at a really nice Steak house called "Cattlemens". They had a prime rib special that was reasonably priced, and just down right huge portion... Excellent cut prepared perfectly... I don't do steak very often, and this was a nice treat...

We got back in the overnight saturday / sunday hours, so I tried to take yesterday off to just rest. I haven't even seen the inside of my shop since last Monday night... Likely won't for a couple more days... Tonight is the final coat of paint on the doors and trim in the front hallway, then I can put door knobs back on!

Jerome Hanby
05-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Only woodworking related activity, I finished re-reading the Mr Sawdust book. Soldiered together a wiring harness adapter to plug a Sony car stereo into a Jeep Wrangler, Installed all of that and put the dash pack together. Went out and saw the new Avengers movie and watched a bunch of Tivo'ed Storage Wars (original and Texas) episodes.

Ryan Hellmer
05-07-2012, 11:16 AM
I had a bit of a manic weekend. Saturday I went with the wife and kiddo to swim lessons then came home and put up the tile backsplash I've been procrastinating on for almost a year. After that I got a little shop time and got a few things done on the crib project and put some finishing touches on a 1950's craftsman lathe I've been restoring. If I had a bench to mount it on I'd be turning things. Horray! Then it was church, dinner (with a margarita for Cinco De Mayo) and home for a movie with the wife.

Sunday I went out to my folks' place to do some sawmilling. I got a little carried away. The first board came off the mill at 10am and I didn't shut it down until 7:20. I didn't do a real good count, but I cut between 1200-1500 bd. ft of walnut and another 200-250 bd ft of ash. Didn't get everything stacked and put away until almost 10, then I had to drive 2 hours home. Not bad for an out and back trip and a day of sawmilling with no helpers, I'm scared to think of what an entire weekend could produce with a couple extra hands.

It feels good to be able to get back out and get things done, I've been really struggling for the last six months and I'm starting to feel like I'm getting my rhythm back.

Ryan

Shawn Pixley
05-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Last week was very busy. So I spent a good bit of time preparing for today. What wasn't associated with work was spent training the puppies (yes now there are two, see other thread) or finishing the joinery for the base of the display cabinet I am making. everything was going to plan before I made one mis-cut on a leg I was tapering. It took me a bit to repair the mistake, but now I doubt anyone could find it. Glued one side assembly last night and just finished gluing the other.

Today started at 6 AM with my first meeting. Guess we start the grind again.

Steven Green
05-08-2012, 2:12 AM
Weekend started Friday night, I cleaned the shop and waxed all the tables and ways. The humidity button got pushed in our part of the midwest and I'll be fighting rust for a while. Taught a three boy class on turning Saturday morning then turned blanks for bowls and boxes till five in the afternoon. Sunday was more of the same and building half a dozen panel cabinet doors. I've still got to get finish on them but hopefully if the kids baseball schedule doesn't swell up I can get them finished and hung by Thursday or so. We had family over Sunday night for a bbq so had both sets of parents and six grandkids for the evening. A very nice weekend for sure. Speaking of rust, how many of you guys have a cabinet for chisels, saws, planes and the like? I used to keep them in boxes when I was out on the job and never had rust problems. Now they're on the wall and it's a constant struggle in the spring to keep them in good shape.