PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day at the Olive Tree!!

mike ash
05-07-2012, 9:58 AM
Well, I really don't need to say much as you can see it in the photos. But for those who enjoy misery.....here goes.

A friend gave me a chunk of wet Olive that had some serious checking, but I had never turned Olive and thought I'd give it a try. I found some interesting grain/character toward the center and eventually this outside form came from my limited creative abilities. Next, I thought I'd better turn to final dimensions as the checking started to grow and I knew I'd never get it back on the lathe at a later time. I was working on the inside and was probably about 95% there....you know when you look inside with a flashlight and see just a little ridge and then sharpen up the cutting tip and go in once more to clean it up? Isn't that always when you get a catch? Then you've really got a mess and need to make the vessel a little thinner to clean up that catch mark. Yep, got the lazer adjusted and know that we are talking Scott Hackler thin here!!!!! Easy does it, as this is going to be a beauty. Then it happens and you just quietly turn off the lathe and keep your lips shut as the grandkids are playing nearby.

Lesson learned: Don't tell anyone how foolish you feel!!!!

Jim Burr
05-07-2012, 10:15 AM
So close!! Happens to all of us Mike. Olive is a weird wood to turn...you'll get another chance!

Ted Evans
05-07-2012, 10:20 AM
That is a real shame Mike, it would have made a very interesting piece. But on the bright side, look at the experience gained and the lesson learned. Too bad the grandkids were close.

Ken Glass
05-07-2012, 10:31 AM
Mike sorry for your loss

Brian Brown
05-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Mike,

Just put a nice finish on the vase, and the broken piece, display it proudly on a shelf with the broken piece(s) next to it, then call it a feature. Name it archeology and double the price. After all, archeologists are always digging up broken vessels.

Bernie Weishapl
05-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Bummer. Have had that happen a couple of times.

Roger Chandler
05-07-2012, 1:39 PM
Of course, it always happens right as you are about finished with the turning...........that way it can maximize the disappointment and frustration. :(:eek::( Stupid vortex! :D

Richard Coers
05-07-2012, 1:59 PM
I would be really surprised if any piece of wood that started with "serious checking", then had "checks that started to grow" would ever be turned without exploding. I would also get the grandkids away from any turning activity. Mike, sure you weren't asking for trouble? I suggest you seriously rethink the materials you work with on the lathe!

Faust M. Ruggiero
05-07-2012, 2:04 PM
Mike,
Don't feel foolish, just broken hearted. I always tell myself, "It is just wood". Too bad though, because it was going to be a beauty.
faust

Eric Gourieux
05-07-2012, 2:45 PM
Mike,
Thats a real bummer. When this happened to me a few weeks ago, the consolation I gave myself was that the hollowed walls were pretty consistent. Yours are, too.

Steve Vaughan
05-07-2012, 3:49 PM
Yup, that's a bummer alright. I'd say, clean up those outer edges that go straight up, maybe do a little hand sanding or 'em to make 'em nice and smooth, leave those other edges jagged, put a finish on it and say, "I meant it to look this way."

mike ash
05-07-2012, 4:01 PM
In the name of safety, Richard has some excellant concerns. I use a lot of "old wood" in my turnings as they give me the character I am often lookin for. However, just as Richard brings up, this can be asking for trouble. Therefore, proper safety measures must be anticipated before we start a project. When turning something that has a rendency to crack, we anticipate that and either throw it to the side and use something that you believe is more solid.....or take precautions like taping the exterior to contain any pieces that might want to exit. Also, I "always" stand to the end while hollowing to stay clear of any potiential flying objects. And those of you who have been in my shop know that I won't operate my lathe when they are in the line of fire. Don't forget safety glasses and atleast dust masks too!!!!

Several weeks ago, I attended the Cascade Woodturners meeting where Dave Schwitzer (of D Way Tools) was demonstrating to the group and I appreciated how he kicked it off with these same exact issues and talked and demonstrated proper safety measures. I also appreciate when Jim Burr consistenty reminds us of the need to protect our lungs!!

Thanks Richard for bringing this topic to my/our attention.

Michelle Rich
05-08-2012, 6:46 AM
I feel your pain...so sorry