PDA

View Full Version : Another small plunge router

Jamie Buxton
05-07-2012, 9:19 AM
For those of you who have been eyeing the PorterCable/DeWalt small plunger, or the soon-to-arrive plunge base for the Bosch Colt, there's another one to consider. Makita has announced a small plunge router. You can buy it as just a fixed-base machine, or a kit including the plunge base. http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=RT0700CX3

Rick Potter
05-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Bosch Colt base? Where would I find info on this?

Rick Potter

Mac McQuinn
05-07-2012, 12:41 PM
Looks like a interesting, useful set-up. There appears to be a couple D/C pick-ups included too in the kit. I'm glad to see this, hope the trend continues. Accessories section shows a set of tracks. Looking forward to a review.
Mac

Jamie Buxton
05-07-2012, 8:17 PM

Rick Potter

Search SMC. There was a thread about it within the last month or so.

Bruce Wrenn
05-07-2012, 10:41 PM

Rick PotterCurrent Bosch catalog lists it, but rep said it wouldn't be available till August. IWF is in August, and many manufactures release new models of tools at the show. This may be the case.

Van Huskey
05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
There was a discussion about the Makita a month or so back as well. Looks interesting and I am hoping everything is at IWF so I can play with them and decide which I like best.

Chris Padilla
05-08-2012, 2:51 PM
Is the IWF always in Atlanta? It seems so. I wish they would move it around a little bit...I'd drive down to LA for the weekend to attend.

Van Huskey
05-08-2012, 3:17 PM
Is the IWF always in Atlanta? It seems so. I wish they would move it around a little bit...I'd drive down to LA for the weekend to attend.

Yes, IWF is always in Atlanta, it is held in even years (2010,2012,2014). AWFS is held in Vegas in odd years, the next is July 24-27 2013.

Chris Padilla
05-08-2012, 3:25 PM
Excellent...Vegas in 2013!!

Will Blick
05-09-2012, 12:08 AM
Lots of companies jumping in the small trim plunge router market, and as mentioned above, kudos on the dust collection being part of the new offerings.... I think makers are starting to catch-on to the importance of dust removal.

While I am not a huge DeWalt fan, and I own many routers, DeWalt really hit it a home-run with their 611PK trim plunge router. Although I use it mainly for shelf pin holes and light trim work, it is built rock solid and very well designed, and dust collection attachments work very well. Although I had to hack one of them up to fit Festool hose. Of course, Pat Warner makes very nice accessory bases that further enhance its use. Stellar Amazon reviews....

Fixed Base Vac attachment $9

Plunge base dust attachment $7.50

Rick Fisher
05-11-2012, 5:52 AM
I like the look of the small Makita router.. I have a lot of confidence in Makita product.. it seems to stand up ..

I could not buy the DeWalt, I would forever worry it was going to crap out at any minute..

Will Blick
05-11-2012, 10:46 AM
I no longer have any brand loyalty.... one thing I have learned over the past 20yrs is, each company seems to have their moment in the spot light where there given product(s) are superior than there competitors. (In general, for the major makers) They seem to leap frog each other at different times. In the past 4 years, some of the BEST and most advanced products I have bought are from DeWalt.... OTOH, my old favorite Makita, well, poor luck, many cordless drills not having the longevity vs. DeWalt and Bosch. I was true blue Makita 10 yrs ago, but learn to stop brand loyalty and evaluate current products, and read reviews on Amazon to get a wider opinion, it has served me well.... Milw. routers in my router tables, Milw. recip saws, Festool drivers, Festool circ. saws, Bosch jig saws, etc.

btw, I bought the DW mini plunge router due to the overwhelmingly positive reviews on Amazon, which as it turned out, were dead on...